Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Aaron's Journal

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/05, 12:54 PM
Other one was getting pretty long.

I have taken the week off of lifting (and hating it) to prioritize my nutrition and to really study for my finals. I am doing an intestinal cleanse and eating super clean. ANYWAYS, I have decided to end the linear periodization I was working on. I am satisfied with the gains I have made, but would like to eliminate some pretty big weaknesses, such as my heavily internally-rotated shoulders and lack of flexibility.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/05, 01:02 PM
Here's what I'm thinking:

Monday - Upper Body Pull

Wednesday - Dynamic Lower Body

Thursday - Upper Body Push

Friday - Lower Body

I want to use undulating periodization this time, as I have not done it since high school, and responded very well to it then.

For upper body pull, my main lift will be Chin-ups. My main upper body push lift will be standing DB shoulder press (thinking external rotation), and I will also add some push-up variations. I am thinking Dynamic Box Squats for my main dynamic lift, and good ole trap bar deadlifts for my main lower body lift.

The only supplemental exercises for upper body that I have down so far are face pulls and DB Scaption w/shrug. For lower body, the only supplemental exercise I have decided on is seated calf.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/05, 01:04 PM
And by the way, if there are any, comments and suggestions are the only reasons I even posted this, so definitely feel free.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/12/05, 01:37 PM
Lower Body supplemental...the fact that you didn't even think about hamstrings worries me. Calves:surprised:...come on now...you know this isn't a supplemental exercise. I don't care if you work your calve or not, but there is no arguing that any calve movement is not supplemental or accessory work..it is vanity work.

Upper Body supplemental...you will need tri work, I promise.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/12/05, 01:38 PM
Unless you are a strongman then I could see calve work as important.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/05, 02:20 PM
If you want to prioritize external rotation, than your main upper body pull should be rows as opposed to chins (which are internally rotated)

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/05, 04:58 PM
Calves are def. supplemental. Keep in mind that I am not a powerlifter, but a basketball player. I am not thinking "what is the best way to bring up my squat or DL (directly)" but more along the lines of just being a more efficient and less injury-prone athlete (which obviously those exercises are a must, BUT I think you catch my drift). Also, the reason that I want to do the seated calf is because my inner gastrocnemius is much more developed than my outer, and I have very little training experience with seated work. I also have potentially very bad achilles tendons, so the condition of my lower leg is definitely a priority. The question of whether or not direct calf work is beneficial to an athlete is arguable *maybe*, but I tend to strongly lean towards it.

And it's not that I have not thought about hamstrings or tris, it is simply that I do not know exactly what exercises I want to do yet.

Thanks for the input, tho, and keep it comin!

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/05, 05:31 PM
as much jumping as you do...why do you need EXTRA calve work?

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/05, 08:03 PM
Because he believes somehow that the soleus contributes more to jumping than the hamstrings, despite knowing that the soleus only works in a position of knee flexion.

Sorry dude, it's not really all that arguable.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/06, 12:24 AM
I don't think that, nor was I arguing that, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that the most explosive athletes just happen to have abnormally long achilles tendons, and therefore efficient and powerful movement of the lower leg. I understand the importance of the primary musculature in athletic movement, but am not ready to just throw out direct calf work.

I am wondering tho, in that frame of mind, why aren't you asking, "as much jumping as you do, why are you doing any extra leg work?" Because if calves were as insignificant in the jumping movement as so many people think, then what would extra work hurt? I realize the importance of training economy, but I am not currently playing serious ball- just preparing to, and playing on scout team here at UT.

I love the board action!

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/06, 05:13 PM
So your going to change the length of your achille's tendon...by doing calve raises?

If your training right...then you shouldn't need any calve work. Why do you want to hypertrophy the calves?

isn't that like putting heavier tires on a race car?

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/07, 01:55 AM
You can elongate the achilles tendon, but that's another conversation...I was pointing that out to just try to say that just maybe the lower leg can be more significant than most people give it credit for.

My goal is not to hypertrophy the calves, but to increase strength. I don't care much about putting size on. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing aesthetic differences, but they take a back seat to performance and efficiency.

Maybe I'm way off base with this...but I also do not see the harm...

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/07, 02:09 PM
so your saying you can legenthen muscle attachments? thought that was genetic?

--------------

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/07, 02:17 PM
It is, but it can be done. In some cases, it is necessary. For example, I have bad activation in my ankles, and the best advice I ever received to relieve the pain in my achilles was when Steve told me to stretch the crap outta my calves and do isometric contractions of the shins...this actually helps correct bad activation by lengthening one movement and shortening the other, back where it was supposed to be. This was mainly muscle lengthening and shortening, but through certain stretching methods, you can lengthen them over time. Now whether that's 100% a good idea, I don't really know, which is why I haven't done it...haha

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/07, 05:49 PM
While I'm happy what I told you made a difference, you have to understand that muscle length, stiffness, and tightness, are 3 entirely different properties of muscle length, of which only 2 can be manipulated (you can't change anatomical muscle length).

Also, while tendon length can be manipulated, you should understand that tendon volume remains relatively constant. So the longer you make your achilles tendon, the thinner and more brittle it becomes, as it looses ductility.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/12/07, 08:43 PM
Also..why make it longer..if your bones are still the same length?

--------------

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/07, 11:01 PM
Wow. I didn't know muscle couldn't be elongated.

I haven't done it personally because of the reasons Steve was mentioning...It just seemed too dangerous.

But, the whole idea behind it the attempt to create a better stretch reflex (the whole "rubber band" idea). But like I said, not in my training arsenal...Someone with bad achilles + lengthening tendons (and therefore making them more brittle) = Disaster

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/07, 11:22 PM
A longer tendon wouldn't increase the stretch reflex, it would lengthen the insertion. This would cause the rate of force curve to the right, causing you to exert a greater force at the end of the contraction. If anyone is interested, I can dig out an old text book and find the citations, but either way, it's not something that can be reversed so it's not something I would recommend.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/12/07, 11:26 PM
But yea, back to original mission- haha

I've been thinkin on it a little more (and usin yall's advice).

Monday - Upper Body Pull (Rows)

Wednesday - Dynamic Lower Body (Box Squats)

Thursday - Upper Body Push (DB Standing Overhead)

Friday - Lower Body (Trap Bar DeadLift)

Undulating Periodization
*Or at least somewhat a representation of it

4 week cycles
----------------------------------------------------------------
3 x 3
5 x 5
5-4-3-2-1
10-8-6

I'm thinking that maybe I will use this template for my main lifts and the exact reverse of that for my auxiliary lifts.

Auxiliaries: Face Pulls, Scaption with Shrug, Push Up Variations, Bulgarian Split Squat (further out, hammy version), Seated Calf work, decline sit-ups, hammer curls.

I am still not sure what I want to use to directly hit the tris? This will look much better after I get onto the excel.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/01/26, 12:43 AM
1 - 26 - 08

Power Squat

45 x 10
95 x 5
135 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 3
210 x 3
225 x 2
240 x 2
255 x 1
265 x 0

Cable Row

72 x 15
120 x 10
156 x 5
108 x 12
132 x 6

Hamstring Curls (1-legged)

40 x 10
60 x 5

Face Pulls

30 x 15
35 x 12
40 x 10

Some Weighted Swiss Ball abs (eh)

Janda Situps

Body x 4
Body x 4

Leg Thrusts

Body x 10
Body x 10

Stretch, done

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/01/26, 01:33 AM
And to answer the questions you're probably silently asking, Yes, I do realize that my squat numbers look like (or weaker than)a lot of your bench numbers. I used to get up to an estimated 300+ squat, but it was only going parallel. I'm dang close to ATG in depth now, so technically these are "PR's". I'm just waiting for one that doesn't sound like a 12 year old girl's numbers. ; )

But hey, my rows have gone up!

Rant over. Time for training to do the talking.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/01/29, 01:00 AM
*Had an intramural game today, so went pretty light in amount of exercises and in weight, and it was also pretty random...but I wanted to at least do somethin

Split Squat

25's x 5
27.5's x 5
30's x 5

Hypers

body x 12
single leg x 5
single leg x 5

Hamstring Curls

80 x 7
90 x 7
Also did some isometric holds with 90

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

40's x 10
30's x 12
50's x 0
The idea here was to create some kind of wave, but I obviously burned out very quickly.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/02/06, 10:32 PM
Split Squat

25's x 5
27.5's x 5
30's x 5

DB Row

35's x 12
50's x 8
30's x 12
60's x 3

One Legged Hypers

body 3x7

Face Pulls

30 x 12
40 x 10

Supersetted with

Pushups

body 2 x 15

Ab Circuit

Stretch

....SMOOTHIE KING...place is the shiz...UT's got one in the rec center...expensive tho

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/02/06, 10:33 PM
By the way, Steve, I tried to do pistols on different heights and was having absolutely no luck. I felt way too weak for them. I'll keep trying, and I need to do some reading on form and such...

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2008/02/07, 05:37 AM
dear diary, ...JACKPOT!

http://www.beastskills.com/Pistol.htm

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/02/07, 11:18 AM
I told him to do "Method 3" with different box heights till he gets the mobility and strength to do them regular. I do like the idea of the progression with the bands.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2008/02/07, 06:40 PM
I used the counterbalance idea as well as just holding myself up against something...the box idea is very good also...and use of bands is very interesting as well...I may try the band idea next ...I am still trying to get a pistol with left leg...
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/02/07, 11:21 PM
Thanks!

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2008/02/08, 08:06 PM
Got probably 45% of the way down on a right legged pistol off a ledge, and I also tried the left, but my patella still screams while I do it, but I couldn't go down quite as far.

DB Shoulder Press

27.5's x 15
40's x 8
25's x 12
45's x 4
50's x 1

Cable Curls

25 x 15
50 x 5
40 x 6

Dynamic Trap Bar DL off 3" plate

135, 6 x 2

OH Shrugs (first time)

Bar x 15
95 x 15
115 x 12
135 x 12

Isometric Push-up Hold

30 sec

Ab Circuit (swiss crunch, swiss oblique, leg thrusts)

I'm pretty sure that's all I did. Kindof picked random stuff.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi