Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16611

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Sticky A word on supplements

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/03/05, 01:22 PM
There are tons of posts on here and everywhere about which supplements should I take to gain mass, which will make me stronger, etc.

Folks have to realize, most of the folks on this board, I would venture to guess 99 out of 100, maybe even 100 out of 100 will never be the next Ronnie Coleman or Lee Priest. Not everyone can be a heavyweight, and most won't ever be.

You have to realize we are all limited by genetics(there is the few genetically gifted folks, but even these enhance with illicit substances). There are supplements that hype things like "blast past your genetics", etc. Realize these are selling hypes.

Now, this does not mean to give up. Every time you hit the gym, workout with lean mass gains in mind.

Just realize, jsut as there are bantamweight, lightweight, middleweight, etc. boxers, so too in bodybuilding. I have run across some great lightweight and middle weight bb'ers I would take their physique over many heavyweights.

So, be realistic with your goals, don't be fooled and save your money when it comes to supplement hype.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/03/05, 11:27 PM
Ditto.

No supplement can replace diet, hard work and rest.
It's especially tough for people who are just starting out, not to look for an easy way to gain because of all the promises made by advertisers and simply not knowing any better. Just try to use common sense. Like bb1 said, save your money. Spend it on whole food, weights and a bed instead. Guaranteed results everytime.

--------------
Hungry and mean!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/03/06, 08:55 PM
bump

--------------
Strength and Honor!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/03/06, 10:32 PM
I'd also add- it is extreme, as in: Extreme Training, Extreme Dieting, and Extreme Supplementation.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/06/12, 03:56 PM
Bump

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
steltz02
steltz02
United States
2006/07/13, 03:42 PM
Is protein considered a supplement. I mean if you can't get the protein that you need in a day from food alone, isn't it a good idea to take protein?

Just wondering, I'm about to buy 10 more pounds and don't want to be wasting my money. THanks
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/07/15, 08:39 PM
Protein in supplement form is really only necessary if you cannot get your protein in from whole foods. Magazines/ads make it sound like you cannot do without, but remember they have a product to sell.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
vickrx7
vickrx7
Canada
2007/02/15, 07:03 PM
man, rony coleman and all those "professional" body builders do STEIROIDS!!!
rwilson76
rwilson76
Australia
2007/02/20, 07:57 AM
I disagree. I think supplements, especially vitamin supplements can be a great investment for good health.

To say no vitamin can beat a good healthy diet is a bit false. In all honesty, how many of you guys saying this eat 5 serves of vegetables a day. Or go around and get every specific piece of fruit everyday that you need to put required vitamins and minerals into your body. The truth is, no one fruit or vegetable contains all the vitamins and minerals you should be having everday, and therefore many people aren't getting what they need each day. A healthy sensible way to get these nutrients is through a multi vitamin or other supplements, such as fish oil capsules.

In this day and age it's nearly impossible to eat everything you need everyday. It's true, you still need a balanced diet, nothing can replace healthy food entirely, but supplements are a good safeguard to make sure you're not missing out on the things you normally wouldn't have time or means to ingest everyday.
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2007/06/27, 12:29 AM
if eating right and resting right were the best way to go no one would have bothered to invent supplements.
Many are not the best, but if you use wisdom when selecting which ones you should included with your well balanced diet and atleast 7.5 hours rest then I believe and know you can have more amazing results then with just eating and sleeping.

Protein,Glutamine, and creatine are all proven to speed recovery. But depending on your age, and activity level there are different guidelines that are important to follow.
ignorantgoat
ignorantgoat
United States
2007/08/08, 06:53 PM
ok im going to have to say if youre just beggining i completely agree with bb, stay away from supplements. if youve been seriously training for 6 months or more, and i mean seriously, and still feel you need a little help try some supplements but dont go for loading yourself completely full of 5 different things all at once. until youve tried them seperately and get it approved by a doctor or certified nutritionist. these supplements can wreak havoc on your body. nitric oxide can cause a series of heart problems and creatine can shut down your kidneys if not taken properly or if you have certain conditions to begin with. just remember not to be stupid.
oh2az
oh2az
United States
2007/09/12, 09:56 PM

============
Quoting from rwilson76:

I disagree. I think supplements, especially vitamin supplements can be a great investment for good health.

To say no vitamin can beat a good healthy diet is a bit false. In all honesty, how many of you guys saying this eat 5 serves of vegetables a day. Or go around and get every specific piece of fruit everyday that you need to put required vitamins and minerals into your body. The truth is, no one fruit or vegetable contains all the vitamins and minerals you should be having everday, and therefore many people aren't getting what they need each day. A healthy sensible way to get these nutrients is through a multi vitamin or other supplements, such as fish oil capsules.

In this day and age it's nearly impossible to eat everything you need everyday. It's true, you still need a balanced diet, nothing can replace healthy food entirely, but supplements are a good safeguard to make sure you're not missing out on the things you normally wouldn't have time or means to ingest everyday.
=============
In order to stay healthy you have to maintain a proper nutritional diet. We all know that and just need to condition ourselves to make better choices in our health. I am a 2 year breast cancer survivor and have made a positive change to my well being. I am now taking in my 5-7 fruits/vegetables a day very simply by drinking 2 ounces twice a day of monavie! It works and i swear by its benefits.
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/14, 08:26 AM
A good analogy I recently read on nutrition and supplements (not quoted)...

If you want to build a brick wall (muscle) you need 2 things, Bricks and Mortar (nutrition - macro and micronutrients) and Bricklayers and their tools (supplements). For myself and I'm sure many of you this is a huge head-scratcher!

How can ANYONE build a brick wall without the bricks and mortar? Why do people pay the bricklayers when there is no materials to work with!?

As for not having any bricklayers, sure you can build the wall yourself, but it will take more time and effort.

Also, most people just don't want to be involved in building the wall. They just want the bricklayers to show up and do it for them, then they're angry when it's not done properly.

SO... why do people just not take charge and become the foreman of their brick wall project, this means being able to build the wall on their own if needed, but can benefit from having some extra bricklayers around when needed.

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
warmup, cooldown & stretch so seldom seen
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/14, 02:11 PM
A simple point I was trying to get across in this post, in order for a supplement to put muscle on a person at any rate close to what is advertised, an alteration of hormones must be involved. For this to happen it cannot be an over the counter type product.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/14, 02:13 PM
Silly statement, do you not believe an underlying cause of 'inventing' supplements is not monetary gain? Capitalism bro.

============
Quoting from GOWAR:

if eating right and resting right were the best way to go no one would have bothered to invent supplements.
=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/14, 04:09 PM
How true... who do you think funds the research? Who do you think writes the statements that praise the supplement? How much money do these people spend on getting everything JUST PERFECT so that we wil buy it? Now they need to make their money back PLUS make a profit while keeping the investors/share holders happy.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Silly statement, do you not believe an underlying cause of 'inventing' supplements is not monetary gain? Capitalism bro.

=============

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
warmup, cooldown & stretch so seldom seen
niles1998
niles1998
United States
2008/02/18, 04:46 PM
Take it from a "lightweigt twig" supplements are very overated, I have spent hundreds of dollars a month in the past trying to find that "magic bodybuilding" supplement that would increase size and see a few extra pounds of lean muscle mass. Guess what? No results. I was not until I quit trying to follow the lastest thing out there that I saw some huge gains. And guess how it was done. Naturally and through whole foods. WOW, WHAT A CONCEPT!
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/03/18, 09:33 AM
I completely agree with bblift. Dont stack ur kitchen with supps of all variety and dont expect magic.Have a good diet with some good amt of protein.If its not possible naturally just go for normal whey protein to keep up with the protein requirement.Dont overdo since u cant change ur genetics as bblift rightly said.Keep it moderate,train hard and rest well and u will see results.
gdgut
gdgut
United States
2009/01/19, 11:45 PM
The way I see it, and most non-coporate affiliated experts see it, the best thing is AT LEAST 3-5 good meals a day is best...then the only supplements you should take are a multi-vitamin, protein, and glutamine....the rest is just waste and not a very good foundation for that "brick wall".
Relique
Relique
United States
2009/05/05, 02:27 PM
Ya. I am with Gdgut. I like my Daily "Sport" multi-Vitamin, I like the protine powder becaues it is convinent and also makes me feel good. As far as results and all that? I duno lol, I don't need to get "huge" I just like feeling energetic and good.

--------------
Sean "TBAR" Johnson -USAF-