Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

A stark warning for us all

Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2005/09/12, 11:53 AM
I'm reading 'Muscle' by Jon Hotten. It's all about the world of the bodybuilder, talking about people who compete in Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia et al. and people, it's scary. One guy, I think his name was Andreas Munzer, died in his early 40s (i think) 12 days after coming 6th at Mr.O. His death was caused by the fact that his abs had become so dense that they caused the veins and arteries that fed them to rupture, so he was slowly bleeding to death. The autopsy found that he no longer had a liver - amongst other things, he was injecting 2 ampoules of testosterone daily. Others like him did and do the same thing. I read a post somewhere on here about drinking protein shake in the middle of the night and someone saying how that was nothing, one guy worked to 4 hr cycles. Dorian Yates was similarly obsessed.

I'm saying that there seems to be a shadowy scary fatal undreworld to a sport that allegedly presents people who are in 'peak' condition. It seems that they are at their peak - as in shortly afterwards they come quickly down.

I don't want anyone to think that I am villifying people or what they do. It's just that when I read this book I feel concerned for the people who post there, particularly those who are younger and perhaps more vulnerable.

There are so many supplements that are out there, and so many that are advertised on or through this site, at what point does it cease to be possible to seperate what is healthy and necessary from what is dangerous?

Just wanted you to know, I'm concerned for you! Ypu should read this book. If you still want to be Mr.Olympia afterwards, then fine, but if not, then you'll be feeling like you had a lucky escape.

I'll make a deal - when I'm done reading it, I'll post it to the first person who gives me their address. That person then has the responsiblity to send it to someone else from this forum, and so on. I think it would be good if we also keep tis post going, and everyone can add their opinions, whatever view they take.

This way, the secrecy that leads to illegal substances and deaths can be shaken, at least from here if no-where else.

Katie

--------------
each to their own
2005/09/12, 12:15 PM
Katie, body building, power lifting and fitness are 3 different things. I have read that there are many BB types who if told they would win a given competition and die 3 days later they would take the win. I'm sure that's been true in the past and will be so again. You should know that there are "natural" BB contests where the drugs are illegal and tested for. I think most of us at FT fall into the natural, power lifter or fitness type. Juicers pass through here but they are few and far between.

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2005/09/13, 02:05 AM
As usual, Charlie's right. This is not shadowy or underground; it is quite out in the open. Munzer, for example, died years ago. Knowledge of these types of situations have been known for decades, and get quite the press coverage. Also, no sport has ever been about being healthy. It has always been about pushing your body waaaaay past what is considered good or healthy, all in the name of competition and beating your opponents.

Believe me, I agree with you 100%, and regularly do many things to combat the "good" perceptions of what is illegal. But you need to realize that this stuff is not hidden, and it must be combated that way in order to gain any ground.

--------------
Michael

*ITS LEG DAY*
You already blew out your wraps.
Your towel cant absorb any more sweat.
Theres puke on the floor.
Your partner is passed out.
Theres a crowd gathering...

And that was just the warm up!
Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2005/09/13, 03:52 AM
Ok, fair enough. I don't know anything about it, just read the book and anted to share! Sorry if I trod on anyone's toes! Wasn't aiming to cause offence or unecessary worry.

--------------
each to their own
2005/09/13, 10:34 AM
You trod on no toes katie. It was an eye opener to me too.

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2005/09/13, 12:18 PM
No toes trodded here, either. Like I said, I agree with you. Thanks for the info...

--------------
Michael

*ITS LEG DAY*
You already blew out your wraps.
Your towel cant absorb any more sweat.
Theres puke on the floor.
Your partner is passed out.
Theres a crowd gathering...

And that was just the warm up!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/09/13, 04:00 PM
If you follow a true bodybuilding lifestlye, the diet and training will make you healthier than you ever have been.

As there is a "dark side", so too is there a Light, healthy Side.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2005/09/16, 08:17 AM
message me your address. Might take a while though, after me there is some1 else who wants it!

--------------
each to their own