Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

a neck question?

esco
esco
United States
2002/08/19, 10:44 PM
hey i was wondering if anyone knew any excersices to make my neck like bigger? wider, etc... not taller lol, but just bigger. i have a nice body, like big but my neck is thin. i sorta have a vince mcmann (spelling) sorta body, like really big chest, arms and all that, but a sorta thin neck.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/08/20, 02:43 AM
You need one of those special "hats" to put on your head...... It'll look rather funny but with those things on you can work your neck quite well.
Ask the trainer in your gym.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
esco
esco
United States
2002/08/20, 11:25 AM
i dont use a gym, no twisting excersices or anything?
SRZrasoul
SRZrasoul
Canada
2002/08/22, 03:49 PM
well you cant make your neck bigger lol. But you can give yourself the tough guy look doing barbell/dumbell shrugs (shoulder shrugs)
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/08/22, 06:57 PM
lay down on a chair or bench of some sort so your neck hangs off the end.. lower your head down.. maybe half way then raise it back up.. you can lower it all the way but be careful as your neck is pretty easy to hurt... turn around so your lying on your chest.. lower your head down.. pick it back up... you can try this too on your sides but it doesn't seem to help.. do maybe 15-20 over a few sets.. I saw that as a way on another board a while ago.. I tried it a few times and seems to work.. just watch out as your neck seems like an easy thing to hurt.. if you need weight (not advised) then you can take a towel.. put that on your forehead.. then put an ez curl bar against that...

Oh and i'm not sure if they will build you a 'huge' neck because I dropped them from my routine after only a little while...
Sempai
Sempai
Canada
2002/08/23, 07:59 AM
It id hard to enlarge your neck, here is one exercise I have done using 5, 10, 20, 100lb bags of potatoes pick up with teeth move head slow side to side up and down do from standing then from laying down with head hanging off over floor remember stretch neck before and after start with weight of head first as firelord describes then progress through the weights taking three weeks min with each weight. And only do no more than twice a week with min three days rest. if it hurts STOP try a lighter weight. This may have sounded silly but it works.

--------------
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember the ark was built by amateurs, The Titanic was built by professionals.
c0nnie
c0nnie
United States
2002/08/23, 01:56 PM
Somewhat similar results to what Sempai describes, I do not do this but I read it in a book or article by Pavel Tsatsouline whom I respect. These are neck stabilization exercises. Combined with standing shrugs and partial bent shrugs, they should shape you and increase your local strength nicely.

The only equipment you need is a wall. Lean against the wall with only the back of your head touching it. Now increase the pressure against the wall by moving your feet away gradually. Press against the wall in this position, keeping your neck straight and rigid, for 8 counts or whatever feels comfortable. Pace yourself for the rest of the exercise: after gradually decreasing the pressure down, repeat this with only your forehead, then your right temple area, then your left.

To stretch, avoid rolling your head around but instead, isolate the 4 sides: in a controlled manner, drop your head to one side, then the other, to the front, and halfway back. Then carefully turn to the right (like when backing up your car) and then left.
SRZrasoul
SRZrasoul
Canada
2002/08/23, 07:04 PM
you can do that, just be very carefull... your sternocledermatoids (neck muscles) are very delicate..whatever you do, take it light. You dont want to paralize yourself if you hurt your neck.
beverlyhyams
beverlyhyams
United States
2010/06/13, 05:56 PM
How can I strengthen my neck so that I can do abs?
blue77
blue77
United States
2010/10/06, 12:25 AM
I to have a exercise for you to try,Take a mini band loop it around a pole of some sort. Now put the band around your forehead walk four feet from pillar,and try to touch your chin to your chest after three sets of twenty or fifteen reps reverse direction and work the nape of the neck good luck on your endevors.