Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

A few questions from a beginner!

seoane
seoane
United States
2008/11/05, 01:14 AM
My wife and I bought a used bowflex 2 weeks ago and I have been using it every week day. I am excited about the way it makes me feel and I really want to make the habit stick. Im naturally pretty athletic, but Im 30, so my body is starting to fill my pants a little more than I want it too!

I have a few questions though, I really dont know where to start other than explain what Ive been doing...

So mon, wed, friday I have been working out my upper body. Following the instructions in both the bowflex book and video, Ive got about 10 exercises that target most muscles in my torso. Tuesday and Thursday Ive been doing a lower body workout, targeting quads, hammies, calvs, butt groin etc.

So its now Tuesday night, and my triceps and lats are still soar from mondays workout. So do I do the workout again Wednesday anyway? Did I over do the mondays workout?

My current training on the Bowflex doesnt include cardio either, I honestly dont feel like I need it, but I do want to burn fat and gain muscle. Will strength training like Im doing create a leaner body, or just build muscle under my fat? I tried using the bowflex like a row machine, but I cant seem to get my heart rate up much higher than 100bpm. I really dont want to run or bike etc, so Im trying to make it work, at home, with this bowflex.

Thank you for your time and help!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/11/05, 08:05 AM
You could probably cut out one of the upper body days, that way youcould get more rest between. maybe upper bpdy mon/thursday and lower tues/friday.

If your calorie deficit is big enough you may not have to do cardio to lose fat when you are training 4 times a week. But you will need to eat more calories if you want to gain muscle...as a beginner you will probably see fat loss and muscle gain for a while, when it plateaus you will need to pick a goal - either fat loss or mass gain and eat / train towards that goal.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield