Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

A few questions for a newbie

Nirvecho
Nirvecho
United States
2009/03/02, 06:35 AM
I'm a 21 year old 6'4 male who weighs about 165-170. I just started a new routine and I have a few questions about the routine..

I'm looking at my routine and I have to to pull ups... which i can only do 1 of. Obviously that inst much of a routine so can anyone advise me on some other workouts i can do in placement involving dumbbells which will strengthen the same muscles that are used in doing a pull up.
Also I cannot do the Barbell Preacher Curls because I dont have a preacher board. What other exercises can I do to replace this one.

Another question, I'm on the mass muscle gain program on this site but I also want to start running.
1) Would running and trying to gain weight work against each other? IF so how many days a week should I run. Or should I just stick to weight lifting for now?

2) Also I looked at my nutrition plan and it suggested i consume 4000 calories, 225gs of protein? Is that really how much I'm supposed to eat? I do have a fast metabolism...Normally I consume half that at most in a day. It just seems like alot to me. Im going to buy a protein shake mix of some sort, anyone want to suggest a good brand I should buy?

And finally, I Should be sore the next morning when i wake up, correct? If I'm not then i should up the weights or the amount of reps/sets? I want to make sure my time is well spent and that I will achieve results.

Im sorry for all the questions but I would greatly appreciate any educated responses. Thank you!
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/03/13, 11:49 AM

============
Quoting from nirvecho:

I'm a 21 year old 6'4 male who weighs about 165-170. I just started a new routine and I have a few questions about the routine..

I'm looking at my routine and I have to to pull ups... which i can only do 1 of. Obviously that inst much of a routine so can anyone advise me on some other workouts i can do in placement involving dumbbells which will strengthen the same muscles that are used in doing a pull up.
Also I cannot do the Barbell Preacher Curls because I dont have a preacher board. What other exercises can I do to replace this one.

Another question, I'm on the mass muscle gain program on this site but I also want to start running.
1) Would running and trying to gain weight work against each other? IF so how many days a week should I run. Or should I just stick to weight lifting for now?

2) Also I looked at my nutrition plan and it suggested i consume 4000 calories, 225gs of protein? Is that really how much I'm supposed to eat? I do have a fast metabolism...Normally I consume half that at most in a day. It just seems like alot to me. Im going to buy a protein shake mix of some sort, anyone want to suggest a good brand I should buy?

And finally, I Should be sore the next morning when i wake up, correct? If I'm not then i should up the weights or the amount of reps/sets? I want to make sure my time is well spent and that I will achieve results.

Im sorry for all the questions but I would greatly appreciate any educated responses. Thank you!
=============
Okay maybe I can help ya out here.
-I'm not sure what you have for equipment, but instead of pull-ups try some bent over rows with the barbell.
-Forget the preachers for now. Stick with barbell curls or if you have dumbbells, try some hammer curls.
-Running is gonna burn a lot of calories, which works against gaining mass. If your goal is to improve your cardiovascular condition, then run, but be aware you're gonna need to take in more calories to compensate for the running.
-The calories seem like a lot, but are necessary for building muscle. If you have a fast metabolism, then 4000 is probably about right. Yes on lots of protein, it's the building block of muscle. You may consider taking a weight gainer shake post workout(they're usually around 500-700 calories) to increase your calories, or start having a big glass of milk with meals to boost calories. Weight gainers a bit pricey, so when I bulk I use as much real food as possible(which is better anyway). My preferred brand is Cytogainer.
-Yeah there should be some soreness the next day. Not debilitating, but some soreness is good. If there's none then try increasing the weight, and really concentrating on the lifts when you do them. Intensity can go a long way.
Nirvecho
Nirvecho
United States
2009/03/15, 05:50 AM
Thank you for taking some time out of your day to help me!