Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

a couple of em...

big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2007/06/02, 01:06 PM
So I had a rough time in the gym this past week. On monday, I was squatting...and After I thought there was no chance I could get another rep (3 reps) I proceeded to somehow gut out six more. I thought I was gonna pass out after I racked the bar... but I waited a minute and a half and did it again... Anyhow- when I got home I looked in the mirror and my entire right eye was dark red. I had burst a bunch of blood vessels and the entire white of my eye was blood red. I'm not worried about this, but i just thought I'd share.

Then on thursday I was going to deadlift and I did my first warmup set at 225, then I was doing to do another warmup set of 315and on the 8th rep I felt a huge pop in the left side of my ribcage. I dropped the weight and knew immediately that I had pulled a muscle., but I'm no sure which one. It's right under my bottom rib on my left side, close to my sternum. I haven't been able to do any lifting since and the pain is getting worse with each passing day.

I guess I really need to do some cardio before lifting from now on... :-(
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/03, 07:29 AM
ab muscle? You should probably see a doc if the pain keeps getting worse...
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/06/03, 01:17 PM
Sounds like you held your breath (called Valsalva). Not a good thing to do. Causes a spike in blood pressure which is likely the cause of the ruptured blood vessels in your eye. Can also cause disruptions in the abdominal muscles, though the usual areas are the inguinal rings (aka hernias).

You may have strained the musculotendinous junction where the abs attach to the ribs (can be painful with breathing).

If there are no visual abnormalities, it may only be time before it is better. If you are really concerned about it, you may need to get it checked out.

lease remember in the future that if the only way you can lift the weight is by holding your breath, the weight is likely too heavy and you risk serious injury or death.

--------------
Kip