Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

5 reps

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/14, 11:20 AM
I read in the deadlift post, that you should do to many multiple reps on deadlift, cause I for one the last few start getting ugly......hower I don't like doing 2 and 3 reps.......just cause my body type seems to respond better to high reps.........So on deadlifts I usually do reps of 5.....or so except for warm ups.......Is this good enough for strength, and well as muscle gains?

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

newbreed
newbreed
United States
2004/04/14, 11:43 AM
Andrew, I am in the same boat, don't like just doing 2-3 reps either. On my deadlift days, I do 5 sets, not includin a warm up. Usually do 10 -15 reps for my warm-ups, then after I can fell that sweat down my back, I go 10, 8, 6, 5. 5 reps being my last set, if I have anything left on me, sometimes I will go real heavy, and try to do at least 3-4 but usually 2 good reps is all I can get. Quick question, if you were going to describe good deadlift form, what would you say? Just curious, sometimes I think my form could be better, do you let the plates hit the floor, or do you stop right before that, then come up? take it easy andrew!

newbreed
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/04/14, 01:45 PM
5 is the highest I ever go. I usually stick to 5 and below. 10-15 reps is a huge opportunity to perform the lift incorrectly. The bar should always touch the floor before the next rep. A slight pause should occur befor pulling the next rep. As far as form goes check the huge deadlift post.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/14, 03:09 PM
I do a "hang deadlift" do to the fact that the rec center( at college where I workout) does not like the amount of weight I do to hit the floor, i Put matts under the weights, and try to slow it down as possible, but the anal "attendants" coem over and say to either lighten the weight, or leave. Many things I don't agree with in there, anothe ris they don't let you have water bottles?? weird huh?
I usually stop the bar just shy of the floor, with a tad of a pause, then go back up. When i'm at my home gym, I let it hitt the floor, they don't mind it there. I know its not the best but I have to adapt.

--------------

jsom85
jsom85
United States
2004/04/14, 10:21 PM
what?? they tell you to lighten up or leave? thats rediculous! no water bottles too?! do these guys know gyms are and their purpose?

--------------
Get your weight up, kid
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/04/14, 10:46 PM
I was told the other day, not to let the weight touch the ground when doing deadlifts? Just out of curiosity, what difference does it make? Is there more of a lift and better range of motion when it's off the floor?

t

--------------
Tim

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self."

Aristotle

TimDay@freetrainers.com
jsom85
jsom85
United States
2004/04/14, 10:54 PM
the only thing that i can see is that it gives constant tension to your muslces as to not give them a rest. however, as gatormade had said it is best to take a second to pause before lifting it again. i doubt you could pause while holding the weight an inch above the ground.

--------------
Get your weight up, kid
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/04/15, 07:32 PM
A hang deadlift is not going to train your starting strength. Each rep is done from the floor because that is how you pull in competition. If you're not going to compete than this is probably a moot point unless you are an athlete where great starting strength is extremely important to first step quickness and acceleration. If you deadlift properly the bar shouldn't make that much noise when you bring it down anyway because it should be controled down. That is how it is in competition.
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/04/16, 10:49 AM
The purpose of setting the weight down on the ground between each rep is to eliminate and then immediately recreate musculotendinous tension for each and every rep. In doing this you will eliminate the contribution of the myotatic (stretch) reflex to the movement. This definitely does NOT give the muscles a rest between reps, rather the opposite. You will find it much more demanding to ramp up the necessary muscular force on each and every rep.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/04/16, 10:57 AM
Thanks!

t

--------------
Tim

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self."

Aristotle

TimDay@freetrainers.com
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/04/16, 11:07 AM
This exercise is all about training the NEUROmuscular system, rather than pumping up the muscle. It is far more a mental exercise than a physical one. It is about teaching the brain to maximally recruit as many motor units as possible to contribute to the movement under volitional command (rather than reflexively). This is also why maximal efforts (right down to 1RM) are essential to the effectiveness of this exercise. It is about teaching your brain to focus on a single task with an intensity you that stretches your limits to absolute max.

For me this brings alot of additional confidence in other aspects of my life. Because of this training I can approach on various other tasks that present themselves with an exceptional level of concentration.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2004/04/16, 11:41 AM
F#$k squats, and screw the bench, DEADLIFTS RULE!! As if we didn't know.:big_smile:
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/18, 01:14 AM
When the dumb trainer isn't in the room I do floor deadlifts, but other wise I do hang just to be safe, it free to work out there so thats the only reason I do that. BUt i'll try and settle the weight down a lil more gently.

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/05/22, 08:20 PM
one of the many reasons im glad to have a deadlift platform in my home gym:
i turn the music up, shut the door, and theres no one to tell me how heavy i can lift. I can bring water too.

also, on the deadlift, and just about every other lift, I never do more than 8 reps, and most of the time its under 5 reps. but thats mostly cuz im a strength athlete, not looking to bulk up like so many other "weight lifters"

--------------
\"I get up in the morning around six to run for about an hour. Later in the day, I lift with a partner. Following my lifting sessions, I usually do speed and agility drills. Later, I drill all my holds and moves.\"
\'Isnt that lifestyle boring?\'
\"Yes, but the gold medal is very shiny.\"
Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
david_s81
david_s81
United States
2004/05/23, 05:59 AM
I am with the lower rep group. If I do much more than three reps the form starts going out the window and I question my effort. I just stick to a heavier weight, and focus on form, and basically try to get that one rep. Sorry to hear about your gym situation. Sounds like some power-tripping gym attendants to me. I think that the slowing of the weight, and the possible consequence that might occur if the weight is dropped, might actually aid you in the deadlift.

--------------
Listen to the Deftones