Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

14 Year old Looking For Advanced Advice

RealClowN
RealClowN
United States
2002/05/13, 07:38 PM
Hey, i'm a 14 year old. I started working out a few months ago, working to have the nice body for the beach, but the strong body for football. I have tried some different things, and i'm really trying to get myself on track. I know a lot of stuff of working out, such as not working out the same muscle for 48 hours and so forth. Like i said, i've been working out for a good few months now, Mon.-Fri. Well, here's some questions. As a 14 year old, what do you guys (or girls :-)) think is the best way to increase muscle in my arms and legs, but define my stomach to get nice abs for the beach? I figured working out doing negatives one work-out and doing regular concentrically would build up muscle and define it. For my abs, i do a crunch machine on 50 pounds, and do 50 crunches. I figure doing it this way, i could define my abs, while getting more mass in my arms. I have tried protein bars (which either taste disgusting, or have no effects) and i also have soy protein (powder). I dunno if i should take this protein or what i should do nutritionally. I figured during the summer i would do my cardio fitness to get a little more lein. To sum it up, i want to know if protein is a good idea, and how i could build up my arms and define my stomach. I'm 6' and 172 pounds if that helps. Thank you so much to anyone who's got the patience for all this. ;-)

----------------------------
-ClowN
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/13, 07:45 PM
Well for the abs, that is mostly diet and exercise. You have to be around 8% bodyfat to see a six pack. Also doing all those crunches with weight would just add on ab mass if I'm not mistaken. Why not sign up for the ft 12 week ab program?

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/13, 09:40 PM
Well if you want more muscle then that old saying "go heavy or go home" (with good form of course) would apply.. Some heavy compound movements could help you such as squats and barbell curls.. try to make sure your using good form on each one.. such as going down parallel on squats and keeping your arms study at your side when curling.. sign up for an ft MASS program and that should help you get these things pretty easily.. as for the crunches.. 50 is probably too many crunches.. try to make sure your not crunching up too fast.. slowly crunch over and pause a sec at the top of the crunch.. on top of that.. what about other ab exercises.. you should throw in some lower abdominal (leg lifts/hanging leg raises) and oblique work (russian twists/leg raises/etc).. if you sign up for a mass program though all that will be thrown in there...
RealClowN
RealClowN
United States
2002/05/13, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys, but i don't know if i can follow their mass program. I can't work out the 5 days as they set it up. It's just confusing. I am here not for their help as a computer, but more for the discussion and information to get me off my feet ya know? But thank you guys a lot. One more thing, as far as protein and carbs go, should i take the soy protein? how should i balance that out? Like i said, i'm only 14 but i weight 172 and i'm 6' tall...

--------------
-ClowN
RealClowN
RealClowN
United States
2002/05/13, 11:52 PM
Oh yeah, and also according to their plan it is set for different machines, but i have a limited set of things i can do up at the school as well as the fact that i havn't been introducted to some things as the coach is waiting for next year to introduce me to doing squats with weights as well as deadlifts

--------------
-ClowN
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/14, 10:20 AM
First of tall, the mass programs can be set to as little as 3 days per week. Where did you get the idea that you have to work out 5? Anyway, since you follow your own routine, and we don't know your training split, we can't give advice in this area.

Second, you'll need to modify your diet to see that six pack. If you do weighted crunches, you're probably just making the abs bigger...and without the diet, it's going to look unproportional.

Anyway, as far as protein powders go, stick with one that tastes good and make sure it's from a reputable company (i.e. EAS, MuscleTech, Universal Nutrition, etc.).

--------------
**_Robert_**
james_75
james_75
United States
2002/05/14, 08:46 PM
if you cant do the squats try using band squats ...i think jump stretch makes them...i use them sometimes and they work well....the downside is they are kind of exspensive but if you look around you might be able to find a good deal.hope this helps...james
rfield
rfield
United Kingdom
2002/05/19, 02:52 PM
the best way to get great abs is to not do loads of crunches but to vary wot u do for example instead of doin 50 crunches with the machine set at 50 try doin 20 with it at 70 then move on to do another ab workout such as leg raises or double crunch, try and keep all ab work to a max of 20 reps then change your find it a lot more benifical

kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2002/05/23, 10:40 PM
rpacheco, how many days per week do you have to train to put on some mass to your body? 5 days? 3 days?....it doesn´t matter?...how maby days would you train?
give me some advice here please.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Being brave doesn´t mean not to be afraid,it means that even though you have it, face it.
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2002/05/23, 10:41 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.