Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Question???

erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/07/03, 12:27 PM
I have a son who is 16 years old and skinny as a rail. He has the highest metabolism I have ever seen, along with lots and lots of energy. He has been lifting off and on for over a year and loves working out. He is really looking to put on more muscle. What his little body has is as solid as a rock, but what can I advise him to do to get bulk. He is one of those kids who gets teased because of how skinny he is which is his main motivator. Nevertheless, What can I do for him. Please advise me....a response from a person who has had the same complication would be greatly appreciated as well.
snowboarder_76
snowboarder_76
United States
2001/07/03, 02:02 PM
Well my old boss was that way too. I am 17 but more of a endomorph.Your son appears to be an ectomorph which means they need a little more help gaining and holding onto muscle and mass. Is he on any supps? I would recommend a weight gainer (2500?),lots of protein meals, protein drink mixes(so he can have them even when he's out having fun or whatever), creatine and L-Glutamine. That should give him a start. These things are fairly cheap too. And most importantly, get him on a FT program! They really work, im getting greeat gains! Just remember that his diet is the most important thing if he wants to really intimidate those guys poking fun at him! -snow
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/07/03, 04:13 PM
Sounds like me when I was in high school. I started working out consistantly at 16 and ate enough food to feed a small army. I never took supplements in high school; I just worked out and ate a lot. It didn't take long for me see a major improvement. I would get to school about an hour early and hit the weights first thing, then ate a good breakfast. As for "additions" to a healthy diet and consistent training program, creatine and glutamine are great supplements for any hard gainer. However, I believe supplements are worthless unless a very well-disciplined diet and training routine are followed. If your son is prepared for some hard work, get him on a good program and help him stick with it. Give him some incentive - maybe once he reaches a certain goal you take him out to his favorite resturant, or something like that. I know that when I was 16, it was hard to stick to anything (except sports). Trust me, I know what it was like to be teased. I'm 23 now and no one is teasing me anymore - anything is possible with hard work.
darkhan
darkhan
Canada
2001/07/14, 10:01 AM
I had a similar problem when I was that age. I was 6'3" and about 140 lbs. When I hit 20 I began to put on weight naturally. by the time I was 25 I reached a weight of about 220. I didn't work out regularly for mass, I did eat healthy. Just give it some time.