Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Adding some powerlifts

fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/15, 03:02 PM
Lately i've been thinking to add some powerlifting into my reg routine... Reading through the 'Powerlifting Strategies' post I saw jbennet say

"Power lifting is not about the pump; its about raw strength and explosive power. The pump happens when your muscles are exhausted. Power lifters feel this occasionally, but not all the time. This is how some power lifters can train 13 times a week (morning/afternoon split) and still not be in danger of overtraining."

So does it matter when I add in some different powerlifting routines (such as starting out at 60% and working up.. forced reps etc).. and would it be considered overtraining if I did.. Right now i'm on the 8 week mass program and I just wanted to hit a body part with the normal ft program once a week.. then later in the week throw in a PL routine (so my muscles aren't sore when I work them).. So say my back routine is thursday.. I would throw in some PL deadlifting (faster lower weight reps) on monday or tuesday... So would that be overtraining.. or a bad mix.. from what jbennet said it shouldn't be overtraining?....
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/05/15, 09:48 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL. Do a ton of research on the subject before you try ANYTHING. Because everybody's body recovers from excercise differently (probably depending mostly on diet), not everyone can work out like that. My current workout is borderline overtraining, but I have a decent diet to help my body recuperate. Start by reading some articles from here:

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm

Read the stuff that Louie Simmons writes. His techniques are somewhat unorthodox, but they work. Please read anything and everything you can to prepare yourself.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/16, 10:00 AM
Thanks jb.. i'll read up what I can as i'm not in any rush to add them.. was just giving this idea some consideration now.. doesn't seem to be very many good powerlifting sites out there.. plenty of them with little misc tips and so on.. but nothing too great...
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/05/16, 12:53 PM
DAMN! that's alot! From my experience, I would NEVER had been able to train that many times a week. 3-4 times was tough enough (LOL). As I said in one other post, remeber not to train all-out all the time. Strength athletes tend to be more prone to injuries than BBs due to the shear stress they expose themselves to. We may not train for a "pump," but the damage done to the muscles and connective tissues can be much more extensive while strength training.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/05/16, 06:47 PM
fireloard,

This is a link to the routine that I am doing right now:

http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/louie2.htm

VERY intense!! My neighbor is literally afraid to workout with me because he knows how insane this workout is. I wouldn't recommend this to a beginner. The gains I've made on this workout (strength and mass) have been better than any other single routine I've tried yet.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."