Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Powerlifting strategies

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/03/26, 10:55 PM
The goal of powerlifters is simple: lift more weight. But from what I've found out talking to a few guys in town and checking out powerlifting sites online, there are soooo many methods and strategies to achieve the goal of lifting more and more. I found one about 3 weeks ago and I've been implementing it in my routine for the last 2 weeks. Its from Louie Simmons, owner of Westside Barbell in Ohio. First of all, its a private gym. The members are all powerlifters (bodybuilding is NOT allowed) -- 22 people have squatted over 800 pounds, seven members bench press over 600 pounds, three of which are world record holders (one guy does 657 at a bodyweight of 220 and another does 688 at 242, and another still can bench 728 at 275).

His basic principles of strength training revolve around speed. He says, "It's all about speed. If you're fast, I can make you strong. I believe in working within the relationships between force and velocity, and you have to train at 60% of your one-rep maximum to do that. If you work heavier than 60%, the bar will move too slowly to build maximum force.... Things like slow repetitions and negatives just make you sore! They will increase size, but they do nothing to increase strength, so we don't do them! For our bench, as an example, we do eight sets of three reps at 60% of the max, with 30 seconds rest between sets."

This method is very unconventional, but since I've implemented this strategy into my routine, I've been able to lift progressively heavier weights on days I do not use this method. I recommend giving it a shot.

----------------------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/26, 11:09 PM
So how often do you incorporate this technique...once every other week? And is it only employed with the basic PL lifts (deadlift, squat, power clean and bench press)?

--------------
**_Robert_**
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/03/27, 01:18 AM
ahhhhh..... u found the house of pain (as simmon's gym is called). it is quite an amazing place, and his techniques are incredible, to say the least.

when i was still lifting, i learned alot from his methods, and incorporated many into my routines. simply put, they worked fantastically!!!!! now, they are tough, and are NOT meant for everyone, but if your body resonds to them, then go full speed.

an example of his speed method, esp. for the squat, is when you jump. if you were trying to jump from the floor to a table top, would you be able to do it slowly? of course not. you must use speed and explosive power. and you must train the same way.

good luck on it, and let us know!

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/03/27, 09:13 AM
As of right now, I'm implementing the '60% max' method once every other workout. For example, on my chest (bench) days I'll work heavy, then the next workout I'll do the '60% max' method. I've been doing the same for squats. It only takes about 4-5 minutes to do all 8 sets. Use a stopwatch to time your rest periods between sets. Keep it between 25 and 30 seconds. Needless to say, when I'm finished, I'm pretty winded.

One thing I would advise EVERYONE to do if they want to try this is to warmup thoroughly. My typical warm-up prior to working my chest is 20 pushups, stretch, and 135lbs for 15 reps. When I use Simmons' method, I do one extra warm-up set (usually 135/10). This routine is explosive and will cause injury if not properly prepared. This is not for sissies!!

--------------
--JBennett
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/03/28, 01:55 PM
I have been working out off and on for years and each time I start to hit it hard again I seem to hit an impassable plateau where I gain no weight or power. The last time I seriously lifted I was not into the 'diet' aspect at all except for eating tons, drinking mucho beer, and drinking a shake of anabolic activator post work out. Man, was I missing out. I am now eating properly, supplementing, and following a mass building program through ft. This brings me to my questions. Firstly, are you currently using an ft program, and if so, do you scrap it on days you use the 'Simmons' program? If you do scrap it, then on days you do chest or back or legs using 'Simmons', are the 8 sets ALL you do? If not, what else do you incorporate? Next, I am correct in assuming that you are to explode these reps? Like you want to thown things through the roof? Is it difficult to maintain form? Where can I find out more about this technique? Do you have the web address? Thanks, and I am sorry for the load of questions but I am working out tonight and I can't friggin' wait to try this!

ischjli
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/28, 02:16 PM
JBennett, I must be missing something here. I tried this out last night while doing my normal chest workout. After I've completed my ENTIRE chest workout (flat dumbbell press (4 sets), inclined dumbbell press (4 sets) and straight arm pullover (3 sets)), I've tried this 60% max method on flat barbell bench press.

I ended up doing 8 sets of 3 (lifting only about 60% of my max), with about 10 seconds rest in between (not 25-30 as you suggested)...I didn't need so much rest. I did these with raw speed (but good form), didn't slow things down as I normally would. I had enough energy to do another 2 sets: one at 11 reps. and the other at 9, before hitting near failure. Is this right? Should I go heavier next time? Maybe I underestimated my max?

--------------
**_Robert_**
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/03/28, 03:42 PM
Wow, looks like I opened a can of worms here.......

I am not currently doing a workout designed by FT; I'm doing an 8-week power routine. When I use the '60% max' method, I do 2 warm-up sets, then jump into the 8 sets for 3 reps each (30 seconds max rest between sets). After I finish and I catch my breath, I usually throw on 90-95% max and do this for 1-2 sets (1-3 reps each). Then, its time to move to the next exercise.

When you perform these reps, you have to do them as fast as you can (preferably without injuring yourself). By using only 60% of your max, maintaining good form is not that difficult. However, you should have no mercy on the bar. The goal is to be explosive, like you want to throw the bar through the ceiling. This method is not for those who just want to "feel a pump". That is a fallacy that most bodybuilding routines have engrained into most of our heads. Power lifting is not about the pump; its about raw strength and explosive power. The pump happens when your muscles are exhausted. Power lifters feel this occasionally, but not all the time. This is how some power lifters can train 13 times a week (morning/afternoon split) and still not be in danger of overtraining.

I don't have a specific web address for Louie Simmons. Just do a general search for him on the internet and I'm sure you'll find all sorts of cool info.

--------------
--JBennett
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/03/28, 04:06 PM
westside-barbell.com..........try that for simmon's

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/03/28, 04:08 PM
OK, maybe I do have a few sites about Simmons' routine:

www.powerden.com/lou.html

http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/louie2.htm

http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/newbie.htm

www.westside-barbell.com/

Hope these give you a little more insight on his training techniques.

--------------
--JBennett
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/03/28, 04:40 PM
JBennett, thank you very much. I appreciate the prompt reply. I still am unclear (bear with me - I want to do this correctly) about what you follow the 'simmons' chest routine with? When you say, "Then on to the next excercise", do you mean another chest exercise? Or are you doing another muscle group entirely? I am ready to bust this out tonight, but I just want to be sure I am not being counter productive by hitting my chest too hard.

Thanks so much for the tips. I am so impressed with this site, what a beautiful use of the internet!

ischjli
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/28, 05:28 PM
Thanks! That helps a lot...

--------------
**_Robert_**