Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Starting out

Epimetheus
Epimetheus
United States
2002/03/23, 07:19 PM
I have decided to get into PL to raise up my strength, but don't wish for a whole lot of mass.
I am 24 years old and never have lifted out before a couple weeks ago. I tend to be shy around free weights as I am not very familiar with them. Currently I use machine weights. My question is if it good to work up my weight on the machines for say my bench, before moving to freeweights.

I am embarrassed of how much I can bench(on chest press machine), barely over 100 (up from 60 lbs from when I started..blush), and am hesitant to do free weights untill I raise it a bit more.

What kind of split would be good for a PL routine for maximum strength gains? One muscle group a week? or twice a week?
(i.e ;
Monday-chest/legs
Wednesday-arms/abs
Friday- shoulders,back/legs
Cardio and light ab work on off days.

or would two seperate routines, twice a week for a 4 day schedule be best?
as in Monday and Thursdays work on chest and back/shoulders
and tuesdays and fridays work on arms and legs?

Doing the 4 day a week routine would be harder on me, as I would not get to sleep 8 hours in between each work out day, but if strength gains are going to be minimal on working a muscle group once a week, I will find a way around it.
What is best for a newbie like me?

Still trying to understand most of this...
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/23, 07:33 PM
Welcome to ft! You should sign up for an ft mass program and let ft tailor a training regimen for you. You can then incorporate some PL techniques to your workouts for maximum strength gains.

You should work with both machine and free weights now. One advantage that free weights gives is the full use of your stabilizer muscles. Strengthening these will enable you to lift more. Start out with light weights since you're a beginner. Just get the feel for them.

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/03/23, 07:35 PM
first off, the great thing about TRUE strength athletes is the incredible sense of camaraderie; we all had to start out with just an empty bar sometime or another and build our strength from there. i know it may seem difficult, but try to never be embarassed of the weights you lift. what u think may be condsidered lite by some maybe considered heavy by others, i.e., there are super-heavy weight lifters that bench more than i ever squated (LOL)! just think to yourself now "the people who may laugh at me now will be the same morons who gasp at me later!" the true test is not between u and them, but between u, the weight, and gravity.

as far as your routine: since ur just starting out, i wouldnt suggest hitting it too hard; it is VERY easy to overtrain for powerlifting. all of your training must be centered around aiding and improving the three lifts. maybe you should start with hitting the major muscle groups directly once a week, and the supporting muscles indirectly once a week. for example: say you do chest dirctly on monday, which of course also hits your triceps indirectly. then on thurday, you actually directly train your triceps. this once-direct, once indirect a week training may be a good way for you to start out and developing the connective tissue and lesser muscles so you can start hitting the big weights later.

hope that helps.................

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
Epimetheus
Epimetheus
United States
2002/03/23, 08:05 PM
Thank you for the advice. The once indirect, once direct sounds great, I will use it. :)

rpacheco: I will try the mass gain program, though Im not sure I really want to go for mass as much as strength and lose a bit of my unwanted fat. Guess you really have to gain before you lose though. Are free weights the only way to train stabilizer muscles?
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/03/24, 11:04 PM
Yes, freeweights are really the only way to train the stabilizer muscles. You don't use these muscles when you use machines because the machine itself balances the weight for you.

I'm not sure why you don't want to gain any mass. To each, his own (I guess). I can guarantee that once you start seeing some mass gains, you'll want to see more and more.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
Epimetheus
Epimetheus
United States
2002/03/25, 03:19 PM
I don't want alot of mass. :)
I used to take Martial arts back before highschool, and would like to get back into them when my work schedule cools down, and I get back into shape a bit. I want some muscle padding, endurance, and as much strength as I can get without loosing my limberness. I have some friends who are so massive that they cannot reach behind thier back and clasp thier fingers unless it is under thier buttocks. (with elbows locked and perpendicular to the body with palms facing out) That is how massive I don't want to be. :)
myth_master
myth_master
Canada
2002/05/26, 08:27 PM
yes your friends might not be limber but do they practice/train to be limber...

I've heard of some bodybuilders (in the 70's) taking Yoga and dance classes, so i dont think that having mass will "get in your way" i just think your friends are either not trying to be limber or their fat... either way putting some mass on is up to you, but i agree once you put some on i think your gonna want to see more