Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16612

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Glucosamine Chondroitin

joeint
joeint
United States
2002/12/08, 08:31 AM
I been hitting it hard and heavy for a few weeks when my sholder and elbow started to hurt a little. This had happned it the past bursidous(sp), tendonidus? Some friends suggested takeing Glucosamine Chrondrotin. So I backed off on the weights for a week and took the supplements so far so good. I back lifting, not as heavy, but there is no pain. I've never read anything here on these two supplements. What does everyone think?

----------------------------
Joe I
mandre
mandre
United States
2002/12/08, 12:04 PM
My husband started taking Triflex from GNC. It has Chondroitin Sulfate, sodium 1200 mg, Glucosomine HCL 1500 mg and MSM 900 mg. Do not take this if you are allergic to shellfish.

He has had a prior injury to his rotator cuff and the cartillage surrounding the joint. The cartillage has built up and needs to be shaved down from what the Doctor says. He has been to physical therapy and x-rays. The next step is an MRI because they want to do surgery on it. He really does not want surgery because that is a 50/50 chance.

What we are trying to do is find ways to reduce the inflammation, keep him off the operating table and reverse or keep it from further injury.

Anyway he was taking the Triflex and noticed a difference. The next step is to use weights to strengthen the rotator cuff.

Just be careful and evaluate your progress and get your Doctors OK.

:) Melissa

--------------
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- -- Aristotle
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/12/08, 12:21 PM
Well, I have heard nothing but good concerning glucosime/chondroitin. I have recently heard somethng very interesting for the joint pain though. Have you ever heard of a product called DMOS? I have a friend who has a farm, and known farmers his whole life, and told me that his grandmother used it on the farm animals and noted that every time she rubbed it on them, her arthritis and pain in her hands was gone for days. He said she started rubbing on her hands like a lotion, and they felt great. It is a gel, and has been used in the farming industry for years. I see www.vitaglo now sells it, it is where I usually order all my supps from. May want to investigate this stuff. I do trust him.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/12/09, 01:51 AM
I have been taking chondroitne every single day for almost a year now..... Before I often had joint aches but now nothing.

The only "bad" thing I can say about those supps is that you'll need to take it daily for at least 1-2 months BEFORE really being able to feel the benefits.

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
grsee
grsee
United States
2002/12/09, 09:52 AM
I first heard of Glucosomine and Chondrotin about nine years ago when my vet prescibed it for my dog who had arthritic hips. My wife asked if I could take it as well. As you might imagine, that was the beginning of many jokes at my expense. However, the vet told me about a product for humans. Before I started using it I could barely walk the day after playing tennis. After several weeks my recovery was much faster and I had very little joint pain.

In my case it just delayed the inevitable. Eventually I wore my hip joint down to nothing and had it replaced two years ago. I still take the supplement and it helps with all my joints.

I also have several close athelete friends who have had similar success. One was a split end from Univ of VA who had 5 knee operations and could barely walk up the stairs. Now he is and expert mountain biker with very little pain. Make sure you use a reputable product, mine was called Cosemin DS. It is a good alternative to over the counter pain medication

As far as DMSO is concerned, it is basically horse liniment and has been around forever. It used to be illegal for humans, obviously not anymore. I have a friend who tried it for a sore knee and it worked wonders very quickly. It is very strong and will give your mouth a garlic type taste immediately after applying it. It is an external treatment for a specific joint while the Glucosomine and Condrotin works on all joint cartilege from the inside

There is lots of info all these products on the net. Hope this helps
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/09, 07:09 PM
What does DMOS stand for and where would I purchase this? From a Vet?

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/12/09, 07:28 PM
Carivan...DMSO is Dimethyl Sulfoxide. Go to www.vitaglo.com. They now handle it. It is reputed for many things, it is a transdermal gel. My friends swear by it.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/09, 07:30 PM
Thanks .

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
jwhisner
jwhisner
United States
2002/12/16, 03:42 PM
i started taking g/c about a year ago. i seem to injure myself playing soocer a little too often and my chiropractor recommended this supplement to help my joints and it did help alot. but it did take about 2-3 months to notice the difference. the pain in my knee went away much faster the second time i injured it than the first time.
maxmoreno
maxmoreno
United States
2007/10/08, 02:23 PM
Hello,

I have reviewed the information for DMSO on www.dmso-use.com
and I was wondering if somebody has experienced this
medicine. Can we consider this as a common way of healing?

Thank you.