Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

premix creatine???

BRETTO
BRETTO
United States
2002/08/06, 06:32 PM
Is there anything wrong with pre-mixing creatine or creatine/dextrose ahead of time...like making a big bottle for the week? I know this sounds lazy, but during loading phases it would be easier to take to work. Also, where can I find dextrose? GNC doesn't have it. Is it true that grape juice has all the dextrose you need? (to mix with creatine for insulin spike)
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/08/06, 08:04 PM
definitely! creatine is a very unstable (alot like me, LOL) molecule, and when exposed to water for longer than about 10 minutes, it begins to break down into creatinine, which is one of the chemicals that your kidneys excrete. this is the same principle why no one has yet to perfect a "creatine serum" product.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/08/07, 01:28 AM
Great info Michael, thanks!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
BRETTO
BRETTO
United States
2002/08/07, 01:22 PM
VERY interesting Michael. I suspected something like that. So what about the grapejuice? Does it completely suffice for dextrose or would I be better off getting pure dextrose (from somewhere)?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/08/07, 01:29 PM
Grapejuice is sufficient. There are other juices with a similar glycemic index as well...but grapejuice is probably the best.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
nobull
nobull
United States
2002/08/08, 09:36 AM
Pure dextrose is still better than grape juice. Remember, most fruit juices contain a fair portion of fructose. Fructose has a low GI and is more difficult for the body to absorb (which is why a lot of bodybuilders avoid fructose in general). The GI (using white bread, not glucose as the standard) for fructose is 32. Common table sugar, 92. If you're going to use grape juice, look for one that contains a high amount of "high fructose corn syrup" (a GI of 89). Good luck.
BRETTO
BRETTO
United States
2002/08/10, 11:14 AM
Nobull, I'm confused. (what else is new? :0) If fructose is a poor choice because of it's low GI, than why would I want a grape juice with high fructose corn syrup? Besides, corn syrup is an added sweetener. Can't I just buy 100% pure grapejuice with no added junk? Also, I thought all fruit sugar was was naturally occuring fructose anyway, not from corn syrup.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/08/10, 01:58 PM
bretto, dont make taking creatine too compicated. it is very simple to supplement with it, and easy to get the insulin spike needed for better absorbtion. alot of times, supplement companies and magazine articles can really cloud the simplicity because they want to put a new spin on something that's been around for awhile.

sometimes, it's more simple to go back to the old way of thinking about sugar: simple and complex. all sugars (lactose, sucrose, fructose, etc.) end up breaking down into the same compound, just some take longer than others. thats whats important with rapid vs slow insulin spikes. all carbs will do it, just at different rates, which is why diabetics have to monitor ALL sugar intake.

Glucose and dextrose are the same compound.
Fructose and glucose are the monosaccharides that make up sucrose, a disaccharide.
Sucrose commonly comes from sugar cane. alot of the glucose and fructose on the market is derived from corn. Corn starch, which is a polymer of glucose molecules, can be enzymatically degraded down to pure glucose. Fructose is an isomer of glucose, therefore, it too can be derived from glucose. This is how corn syrup (or high fructose corn syrup) is made. Starch is enzymatically digested to glucose, which is then converted to a fructose.

hope that helps.............

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
BRETTO
BRETTO
United States
2002/08/10, 02:47 PM
Cool. Thanx Rev8ball. As soon as my brain cools down I'll have grasped the full concept. I knew I should have majored in chemistry if I was to have any chance of actually building my muscles. Just kidding. :0) This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I want to truly have a thorough understanding of the science behind bodybuilding. This seems like the perfect mating of art and science. I freakin' love this sh*t!