Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Women and Creatine

FitLilAlien
FitLilAlien
United States
2002/06/15, 04:03 PM
I just recently read in Muscle & Fitness magazine that a study was done on women and creatine (don't have the article handy to check the length of the study) and it said that women did not benefit at all from creatine. I used to take Pro Lab's creatine and i even tried Cell Tech a while ago. I thought I was benefitting SLIGHTLY from it, but that could have also been all in my head. Anyone know anything about this? I was just curious.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/06/15, 07:29 PM
Hope this helps:

"Women should avoid creatine. False.
As creatine, a natural substance found in foods such as fish and meat, doesn’t affect anabolic hormone function, women who train with intensity could benefit from creatine use. One study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that women could gain strength and reduce bodyfat with creatine use. In the study, 16 collegiate women lacrosse players loaded up with 20g of creatine and followed up with 2g for maintenance for a period of 5 weeks. At the end of the experiment, the creatine users significantly improved upper-body strength, while simultaneously decreasing the percent of body fat. The study also found no incidence of liver or kidney malfunction, as measured by blood metabolites during the five weeks. Since creatine doesn’t affect or alter anabolic hormone function, creatine won’t 'turn women into men.'”

*Quoted from "The Ultimate Creatine Teat," Universal Matters, Vol. 5, Issue 3, Pg. 9.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
"Overkill is barely adequate..."
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/06/16, 01:49 AM
Hmmm I guess that we just have to try by ourselves to know if it works for us or not.

I've tried it but never really felt anything specific EXCEPT a better recovery since I took it with an insulin spike straight after work out.
Now if the better recovery is due to the sugar or creatine, that I do not know.

To know I should be taking the creatine more regulary......

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....