Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

L-Glutamine with other supps

sirks001
sirks001
United States
2002/06/04, 08:30 PM
Does L-Glutamine have to be taken seperate from other supplements such as Creatine or Protein or can they it be mixed in with my protein or creatine? If it does have to be taken seperate from them, how much time in between?

Sirks
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/06/04, 08:34 PM
use the search option...this topic was discussed not too long ago. if you don't find it let us know!

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work....
Leslie
sirks001
sirks001
United States
2002/06/04, 08:39 PM
Actually I've been trying to look for a subject on it but didn't really find one that told me if I can take it with or without creatine or protein or when to take it. So if you would be able to help me out, that would be great :-)
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/04, 08:42 PM
You can take it with creatine or without. Most people mix it into their post workout shake. If you don't use a protein supplement than I guess just take it in the morning unless someone else has a better time.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
sirks001
sirks001
United States
2002/06/04, 08:55 PM
So I should only take it before or after my workout? Is it okay to take it in the morning afternoon and night?
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/04, 11:32 PM
I take straight l-glutamine from prolab, and I only have to take it once a day. It's one teaspoon (approx 5 grams) per day. I don't know what taking it more than that would do, if anything.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
scotthall
scotthall
United States
2002/06/04, 11:46 PM
Just go to www.ast-ss.com they have a huge question and answer section that pretty much covers everything. The answers are also given by experts not a random joe.
kylejacobs
kylejacobs
United States
2002/06/19, 10:15 PM
Actually, research has shown that it's best to take glutamine apart from creatine as they both use the same receptor sites in the body. I have found it best to take glutamine after an intense workout and right before bed as this is when muscles are more prone to catabolic reactions.
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/20, 10:36 AM
Kyle has a point. I have heard this too and also take it 2-3 times daily. I have read that you cannot take too much (within reason) l-glut. To be safe I take it after workout, but about 15 minutes following the creatine.

--------------
Ischjli
"Seven days without exercise makes one weak."
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/06/20, 11:13 AM
I have been searching for some information about creatine and glutamine competing in the body, but as of yet I cannot locate any substantial documentation with citable references from peer-reviewed journals. All I have found were some “articles.” So, if anyone can get to me that info, please do. But here is my take on it:

Creatine is not a protein amino acid per se, but a synthesized compound resulting from the reactions of the aminos glycine, arginine and methionine. For the sake of space and time, I’ll go ahead and assume that everyone here understands how creatine works (ATP, phospate, etc.), as well as the functions of glutamine in the body.

That being said, I cannot see where the two would conflict. They chemically react with the body totally differently. The receptor sites that they interact with are completely dissimilar; they do not have to compete for the same ones. Therefore, taking them as supplements together should not impede either of their functions in the body.

In fact, new research has shown glutamine and creatine may actually complement each other when it comes to recovery, which is why more and more post-workout drinks are including both. It has been noted in some recent research that it is not necessary to consume large amounts of glucose (i.e. 75g, as in cell tech) in order to initiate the beneficial insulin spike for absorbtion: substituting up to half of these grams with whey protein has just as good of a response, and it is common knowledge that whey is loaded with glutamine.

Just my two cents.......

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
"Overkill is barely adequate..."
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/20, 11:22 AM
To add a little more to what Michael said, since whey protein drinks usually have a fair amount of carbohydrates, these can be effective substitutes for insulin in the delivery of creatine into the muscles.

P.S. - I also don't think they (glutamine and creatine) compete with each other if taken together.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/20, 11:42 AM
Great info guys.

--------------
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice does.