Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Glutamine

manzer
manzer
Canada
2002/05/09, 10:01 PM
Is Glutamine completly different from creatine and protein?
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/09, 11:31 PM
Yes, Glutamine is a cortisol suppresor that helps stop catabolism.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
manzer
manzer
Canada
2002/05/10, 11:13 PM
what's catabolism?
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/10, 11:16 PM
Its when your body starts to break down your muscle tissue for energy... or at least thats what I think a few people have referred to it as..
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/05/11, 05:16 PM
Glutamine is an 'everything' amino acid. Here's just a few things it does:

It is the most plentiful free amino acid in the body's muscle tissue.
It is a excellent antioxidant.
It acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain.
It helps volumize cells.
It supresses cortisol (a muscle-wasting chemical).
It improves mental alertness, clarity of thinking and mood.
It plays a very important role in protein metabolism.
It is known to promote anabolic conditions in muscle cells and increase the rate of protein synthesis.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I know of. Glutamine is not considered an essential amino acid because your body naturally produces it. However, the FDA is reexamining the recent studies of the effects of glutamine on the body and I'm sure within the next few years, it will be considered essential. If you workout, it IS essential!!!

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/11, 10:35 PM
Pretty much! Yep catabolism is when your body starts feeding on muscle tissue. One other thing about cortisol is it's what makes your body go into fat storage mode. Keeping it suppressed is very helpful in losing weight, but can be fatal if gotten too low.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
manzer
manzer
Canada
2002/05/15, 06:55 PM
Thanks alot
Desantis
Desantis
Canada
2002/05/19, 10:10 AM
I've been doing some research on gultamine and I have a few questions.If your trying to gain muscle, glutamine will be a great way to enhance the process? But how effective is it? Side effects? Is it alright to be taken with protein? Thanks

--------------
Fly like a butterfly, Sting like a bee
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/05/19, 10:57 AM
Side effects may exsist in very high dosages (50g+ per day), but not at the amount we are taking it. Some cancer and AIDS patients have been 'prescribed' up to 40g/day of glutamine to combat weight loss. There were no reported side effects and most of the patients actually gained weight during the time they took it. I wouldn't recommend taking 40g, but 5g to 15g per day for prolonged periods is perfectly fine.

Glutamine is one of my 'essential' supplements. To be perfectly honest, when I take it I don't really feel any different. When I don't take it, my recuperation time increases, I feel tired, and I'm not as motivated to workout. I believe this is mostly due to the lack of glutamine. Since most protein powders already have glutamine added, it is OK to add more to your protein shake.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."