Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Calcium

festus1113
festus1113
United States
2002/02/28, 04:23 AM
Since I started tracking the nutrient intake in my diet I noticed that I'm getting about 3 times the RDA of calcium. My wife told me that too much calcium can cause kidney stones. Anybody out there know anything about this?
I use skim milk in my protein which really drives the calcium number up.

----------------------------
Stan
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/28, 07:13 AM
I think the jury is still out on that one. I think it is the TYPE of calcium, oyster shell is the Not recommended type.

--------------
....Bloom where you are planted....
Leslie
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/02/28, 09:03 PM
I consume a ridiculous amount of calcium, too. You need a little more than usual so your calcium channels in your muscles can work correctly. Calcium can in fact cause kidney stones, but just drink more water and it will flush the kidneys out more regularly so calcium will not 'build-up'.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
festus1113
festus1113
United States
2002/03/01, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the input!

--------------
Stan
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/03/02, 03:47 PM
Festus, I just found this little article about calcium online. You may find it interesting.....:

CALCIUM:

Why you should drink your milk: This is a "no-brainer", Calcium builds strong bones and teeth. You may not know it, but Calcium makes up about 2% of your total body weight. That's 2 - 3 pounds for an average adult. 98% of it is in your bones, 1% is in your teeth, and the last percent circulates in your bloodstream. Calcium also regulates your heartbeat, blood pressure, blood clotting (important for people on steroids), contracting your muscles, and sending messages down your nerves. It also makes several different hormones and enzymes, like the ones that control your digestive system and how you use and make energy from fats.

There are 206 bones in the human body, you need all of them to be strong, especially if you are training with weights and strength. Not only this, but your bones get weaker as you get older, after about 35 years old. Now, if you are training, you need a lot of Calcium. If you are training and taking steroids, you need even more Calcium. Now, If you are training, taking steroids, and taking thyroid medicine (Synthroid for instance), you need even more Calcium. You see, steroids and thyroid meds rob your body of Calcium. Alcohol will also do this, so you need to really watch your intake of vitamins and minerals, alcohol will rob you of most every vitamin and mineral in fact.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
festus1113
festus1113
United States
2002/03/02, 04:04 PM
Wow! Excellent article. I never worried about it before. I've always enjoyed the milk, but the older I get the more I worry about what I put in my body. Thanks a lot.

--------------
Stan