Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Heart Racers

Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2002/12/18, 01:44 PM
Anyone ever have a problem with their heart racing after they are done working out, and after they have relaxed for a few minutes???

My heart began to race on me 15 minutes after my HIIT cardio workout (5 weeks into the program, no problems till then). It took off at about 300 beats per minute. Calmed down in 30 seconds. Doctors found nothing.

I did a weightlifting session 1 week later, and then i went into atrial fibrilation. I AM ONLY 24 yrs old. LOL

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem at all and is afraid to jump head first back into weight lifting. I do some working out, but its not very intense because I am afraid. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/18, 03:39 PM
Haven't experienced this. If it is possible, try and get an echogram done. This is a very detailed exam of the heart
done by a form of ultrasound. The technician gives a report on the sound and visual to your Dr. Takes an hr.
Hope your ok.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/12/19, 10:32 AM
Did you exceed your maximum heart rate for any period of time while doing the HIIT cardio? It is a very intense form of cardio, and it may not be right for everyone. I would definitely get an opinion from a professional(doctor). That is nothing to play with. Best of luck, and hope all is well.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2002/12/25, 04:57 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the concerns.

Guess what, I just got admitted AGAIN to the hospital.. on the 23rd of december, and got released today on the 25th. Some christmas present.

Well, this time, i was helping my friend move furniture for about 3 hours. After that, i came home, and 2 hours after that, I was back into Atrial Fib. So it seems there is a direct link with me doing heavy lifting for a period of time as opposed to light workouts which I have done and been fine.

U know bb1fit, I wondered that exact same thing, if maybe i went over my max heart rate. But see...this doesnt happen while working out. Its 1 to 2 to 3 hours after that when i am calm and watching TV.

Well it looks as though I will be getting RF Ablation done to cure the problem so I dont have to worry about it for the rest of my life! See what happens when u try to get into shape?? Nothin but trouble LOL. j/k
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2002/12/25, 04:58 PM
Oh By the way, I have had a few cardiograms done, the ultra sound...far out too , pretty cool. Everything is normal, and there is no history in my family of any problems, so it looks like just a defective thing, but its curable.
skinnyrobin
skinnyrobin
Germany
2003/01/10, 09:12 AM
best of luck!
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2003/02/25, 11:46 PM
Just an update on this thing going on with me...

I ended up not getting the surgery just yet. Since i have had 2 episodes in 4 months span, the doc says its really not enough to go ahead and operate. They usually only do surgery on those who have it 3 or 4 times a week or more.

I have recently began to work out without taking the myoplex, and have not had another occurence YET. However, i am not doing the intensity that i was doing, but its getting there. It would be very strange if Myoplex was causing this problem with me.

I was talking to a friend of mine, and he mentioned that he also takes myoplex, and about 30 mins after he drinks a shake, he gets palpitations (hard heartbeats). Hmmm, interesting.

There really isnt anything in myoplex that would normally stimulate the heart, so thats what is odd about it. Perhaps its just something in the chemical that is not sitting well with me alone. HMMMM
Disco_Monkey902
Disco_Monkey902
United States
2004/08/19, 12:59 PM
I have experienced this, but I experience it as I work out. Whether it be weights, or the bicycle, I'm a Subaru Sponsored rider, it will hit me when I give just a little extra effort. and no I don't go over my max heart rate. WHen it happens it drains the energy from me and I have to stop what I'm doing and rest for about 2-3 minutes. Then I'm perfectly fine. Since my metabolism is so high, and I have not been watching my diet as I should, I'm going to test that theory and get my fuel on the right path to see if that helps. normally it will happen almost every time I ride. But when it doesn't happen, generally I've eaten fairly well that day. So for me I believe it is diet related. It's been happening since I was in 6th grade. Doc sees nothing wrong, so I'm doing my own research. I hope you find your cure. And I hope I can get mine under wraps
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/08/21, 10:49 AM
my heart is pretty knackered, i know its not good and i have a big history of heart problems in my family so im not gonna bother going to the doctors, chances are ill have a heart attack at 40, but hey

--------------
dooby doo doo

A.D.F.
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2004/08/21, 01:15 PM
Knack 1. a trick or device or a cleaver way of doing something 2. ability to do something easily 3. (archaic) a knickknack; trinket; trifle

Knacker 1. a person who buys and slaughters worn out horses and sells thier flesh as dogs meat 2. a person who buys and wrecks old houses and sells their materials

I misspell psyche fine, but what the hell is knackered? :)

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/08/21, 03:18 PM
what is your problem man, i say something which is that basically im gonna have major heart problems, which is true, and you just be be a smug, ignorant little boy. you know full well what knackered means, its not rocket science. so dont try and start something that isnt even there just because your life is that crap and pointless that you have to cause trouble for a kick.
COULD THE MODERATORS PLEASE DELETE THE LAST COUPLE OF MESSAGES COS THEY ARE A WASTE OF SPACE.

--------------
dooby doo doo

A.D.F.
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/08/27, 04:34 AM
ooh quit it you 2 lol pritchard if your expecting problems nip it in the bud. You can beat your family history if you take care of yourself now and have the doc watch close over the years. Good Luck - MIke

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am ANIMAL! and that is enough.
Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/08/27, 06:36 AM
when i found out that heart and colesterol problems were hereditary in on my dads side i knew i was pretty much doomed, since my great grandad, and my grandad both died of a heart attack in their early 40s, and my dad has only made it to fifty because he lives an active lifestyle. it was one of the reasons why i came into fitness. i think ive inherited the damn baldness gene too, my dad was recieding at 18, and i think i am, but only i can see it. thanks for the good luck anyways.

--------------
guns dont kill people, rappers do
call the police, woo woo woo.

stay dumb, you know it makes no sense.
A.D.F.
PTF
PTF
Australia
2004/09/06, 08:14 PM
Stuart O'Grady who races in the Tour De France and just won the Madison at the Olympics has similar heart problems to what you are describing. It would be interesting to see what he does to manage it and still race at such a high level.

--------------
>>> Are you a personal trainer? Chat with other trainers here. <<<

Visit: www.personaltrainingforum.com
Diana123
Diana123
Hungary
2004/09/09, 01:42 PM
It was interesting reading this post, because what Firehawk described is what I have experienced as well. However, these "heart races" seem to come not after a workout but when I least expect it...when I'm calm and doing nothing strenuous. It also feels like there is an elephant sitting on my chest and I can barely breathe. I went to a cardiologist with it and he said that one of my heart valves do not close properly, thereby causing these very high hearbeats once in a while. He also said that this is not curable, and it isn't life-threatening or anything. But it sure doesn't feel good when it happens!