Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder Pain (Sometimes Popping)

bsoebekti
bsoebekti
United States
2001/09/07, 04:35 PM
I've recently started to experience a pain in my shoulder when I do exercises such as the military press or incline bench press (it's worse with the military press). The pain is sharp and sometimes it feels as though pushing another inch or two will cause a pop.

I also experience the same pain when I raise my arm above my head and then bend at the elbow as to scratch the opposite shoulder.

In a different thread someone recommended that if your shoulder pops that you should see a doctor/physical therapist. I don't think I'm at the point where I totally messed up my rotator cuff or anything like that. So, I'm wondering if I can just "let it heal" or if I should go to the doctor.

If I should let it heal, any tips on nursing back a gimp shoulder?

Any help is appreciated, I have to get back in the gym!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/09/07, 10:51 PM
Mineral ice, rest, heat, ice, heat, rest, ice, heat, ice, heat, ice, heat, more mineral ice, etc. I've killed my left shoulder twice so far: once in high school (1994) doing heavy lat pulldowns, and once in college (1995) doing flat-bench flyes. Both times I was confined to doing only leg excercises for 3-4 weeks. It still bothers me quite often; I've never had surgury. Shoulder injuries are nothing to play with. Do what you're comfortable doing in the gym and don't over-do it.
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/09/07, 11:08 PM
Exactly. I stay away from lateral raises because of the shoulder pain. Otherwise they are ok. Definitely stay away from any exercise that worsens the area. You might see a doctor anyway. Take care of those shoulders!!

coolness...
bsoebekti
bsoebekti
United States
2001/09/17, 04:47 PM
Can anyone out there suggest a set of shoulder excersices that aren't as harsh on the joints as are military presses/lateral raises?
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/09/18, 08:36 PM
Try wide and narrow grip pulldowns. I have to stay away from lateral raise also. I have the crunching/popping deal too. Painful!!! Standing rows are also good. Take it easy at first to check it out. Hope you find something that works!

coolness...
bsoebekti
bsoebekti
United States
2001/09/19, 06:39 PM
Do you find that the wide and narrow grip pulldowns are effective for your shoulders? I always interpreted those exercises as back exercises.

Standing rows give me a good burn without hitting my shoulder joints too hard. I've always included those in my shoulder work outs.
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/09/19, 08:53 PM
Absolutely on the grip pulls!! I can feel it and I've gain quite a bit on my shoulders and have done no lateral raises. Those standing rows are great, eh?? Pump it up!!

coolness...
illus1on
illus1on
Malaysia
2001/12/26, 01:18 AM
every once awhile, i might feel my shoulder hurts during lat raises. what i do is, i stretch maximumly on every angle of my shoulder joints. i think the best substitute for lat raises is upright rows. one thing to remember is that, you should not put too much stress on your shoulder when it hurts. u should use the upright rows movement as a stretching exercise. in no time, you can feel that your shoulder is feeling better and the best part is that it heels faster...:)
foust130
foust130
United States
2003/04/19, 03:38 PM
i am having the same problem when i do incline presses, my right shoulder will pop and act like it wants to give out. i'll try the upright rows like illus1on said, hopefully it will help. thx