Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 377, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Routine

Dneville
Dneville
United States
2018/10/24, 02:45 PM
So when I create a new routine on this site it tells me to do 20reps, 16reps, 12reps. Why are the rep counts so high? Is it cause i selected to lose weight? And if I follow these rep counts how much weight should I be looking to use? I can Bench 50lbs about 16-18times right now but I’m assuming this is scaling up for weight and down for reps so that 50 would be the last weight I use correct? I’m still a newbie when it comes to this stuff.
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2018/11/07, 04:56 AM
Hello Dneville,

I would imagine the rep counts are higher due to you selecting lose weight.  Generally speaking if you are looking to lose weight and not bulk up, higher reps is fine.  I personally think 20/16/12 is a bit high.  I would stick with no more than 12 and do something more like 12/10/8 if you are doing 3 sets.  Yes, you should select a weight that you are comfortable lifting with proper form to hit your rep goal while assuring it's not too easy.  This can take a little time to learn what weight you should be using.

If you can do 50 16 to 18 times, I would suggest doing 60 or 65 and see if you can do a set of 12 or 10 and what difficulty it is.  If it's too easy, try 70 ect.  Slowly move up to where the last rep in a 10 rep set is hard but no so hard that you fail. 

No need to rush, take time to assure you have good form as well - if you stick with it in the coming weeks/months you will have a routine in, you will have learned your limits and will watch them increase.

Cheers!!