Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 376, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Help

Dneville
Dneville
United States
2018/09/01, 05:24 PM
I’m fairly new to the gym scene. I’ve been going for a few months, but I pretty much just do what I see others doing. I have lost weight, but I feel that’s more because of diet changes than working out. I’m always confused on how to start, the best routines to use and all that. I’d like to continue to lose weight but I’d like to also tone my body (lose the flab) and build some muscle as well. I get confused with how much weight I should be using, how many sets and reps. If anyone could offer me some advice as to any of this I would be greatful. I guess what I’d like to know is...how do I start? Is there a program on here to use? How long should I should I use it? What weight should I start at and how often should I increase it. How many reps and sets and how often to increase them as well. Most of my friends have always been gym rats and when I ask them they overwhelm me with what they do.
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2018/09/25, 09:54 AM
Hello Dneville, and welcome to FT.  There are workouts that are taylored to each person in regards to experience, what type of access to equipment as well as what days of the week you are available to hit the gym.  I suggest starting there.  At the top of the page click Workouts and follow the simple tutorial to generate a workout routine that is taylored for you.  They are generally 8 week plans.  Once you complete one, generate a new and keep at it.  Good luck!!
Dneville
Dneville
United States
2018/10/01, 06:12 AM
Thank you. I will start at beginner I guess and work my up. Is it better to do splits or a full body workout? Right now I want to lose weight and get tone.
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2018/10/03, 08:00 AM
I would personally do a full body workout for the first couple months - 3 to 4.  Then when I'm happy with my progress and really want to spend more time focusing on certain muscle groups I will break up my workout into a split routine.
Dneville
Dneville
United States
2018/10/17, 01:04 PM
Thanks a lot man.
Dneville
Dneville
United States
2018/10/17, 01:20 PM
Can you recommend a good free-ish app to help track my workouts? Something that may help tell me cals burnt.
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2018/11/07, 05:01 AM
I personally use Fitnotes.  You will need to manually fill out your weight/reps ect but it tracks your progress, lets you know when you have made gains based off of past input and calculates a rough 1 rep max based on sets/weight you input. 

It does not track calories burned ect.  That would be tough without the app determining heart rate and workout length.  A fitbit or other exercise watch may be better to give you a rough estimate of calories burned during your workout.