Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

For Rev8ball or george

2012/06/14, 10:28 PM
I guess you guys know I swim long distance. I alternate side strokes on both sides, breast srtoke, crawl stroke and back stroke. I usually do 100 strokes of each and then change to keep from getting too fatigued. I don't flutter kick much because it winds me pretty severely. So I am usually frog kicking most of the way.

The motion of the frog kick makes the insides of my knee joint hurt moderately. If you can envision the frog kick, the lower legs are pulled together and it's natural that this part of knee is stressed. It gradually gets better as the summer progresses. Do you guys have suggestions for strengthening this part of the knee while not in the water? I deal with it with Advil.

I would like to do something that would maintain my strength i9n the knees during the off season. I do squat, lunge and other leg exercises routinely but nothing I do seems to put the torque on my knees like the frog kick.

I plan to try flippers but again, I'm not sure I have the wind for it. My upper body strokes are so well developed and powerful I'd just like to add more from my legs. I guess I should also ask if there is a danger here from repetitive motion injury.

Suggestions?
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2012/06/18, 09:00 AM
Frog kicks put the knee in an awkward position, since the hips are rotated outward. They're not linear like regular kicking, and most of the pain is probably coming from irritated connective tissue (tendons, etc.).

I would say to help with developing strength and endurance in them, try the following:
- Wider than normal stance squats. You don't have to go crazy on the width, just focus on pushing the knee out when standing up
- RDLs (weaker hams/glutes can effect hip motion)
- Diagonal walking lunges
- Hip abduction and adduciton movements, starting out with bands as resistance first

Good luck, C. Let me know how it goes....
2012/06/18, 10:28 AM
I'll give it a shot Michael. I did buy swim fins this weekend. The plan is to alternate flutter kicks with the frog kicks. I opened up a brand new can of worms. The fins are the short training variety and really add to the work in work out. My knees aren't as sore so that's a plus. I appreciate the suggestions. I've been so wrapped up trying to be creative with dumbbells that I completely forgot about bands. Cheap possoble solution. I'll keep you posted in a few weeks. I appreciate the suggestions as usual.