Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

New to it but very excited

goyabean
goyabean
United States
2003/01/12, 09:27 PM
I am new to the weightraining thing and I can tell you that so far I love it. I feel more like I have worked myself when I lift than when I just do an aerobic workout. I have some questions though and I hope I can get some helpful hints or answers. Here we go.

This is my first week of working out and just so happens my day to rest. Went to the gym Friday lifted 10 mins warm up..then lower body stuff...squats, etc. Then some cooldown...total work out time last 1 1/2..I loved it. Saturday went to gym only for 45 mins...15 mins warmup (treadmill) then some upper body workout. Today is Sunday and my thighs are killing me..inner, outer you name it. I am hurting some upper body pain...but lower body oh man the pain...but it's a good pain..cause I know it means that I am shocking my muscles right and getting them moving. I read in one of the message right ups that the pain should last up to 48 hours..well I am getting down to the nitty gritty of that time scale and whoa I am still hurting. Question...I have rested my lower muscles outside of treadmill work...is it ok to work them again if I am still sore..not killing sore but tender?

Next question..lift weight...will building muscle help fat to melt away or will they just get big under that fat and make you look fatter? Does muscle really weigh more than fat? And what is the right amount of body fat for a 33 yr old female, that's about 5'6"??? How often should I be working out to achieve results quickly but safely? I don't want to be a bodybuilder just want to be fit and toned. Also, working out faithfully for the required amount of time..how long before I should see some results for my efforts? I guess that is all for now...I hope some of the more experienced trainers can answer some of these questions....I am so excited and look forward to a more fit me!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/01/13, 01:09 AM
First of all, yes you can slooowly work your muscles again even though they are a LITTLE sore. Don't do as much or take as heavy as the last time. (it's called active recovery)

Secondly, building muscles wont melt away the fat, the diet with the new muscles will!! Muscles are alive and they need a lot of energy and if you eat clean (and not more than before) you'll loose some weight.

If you work out 3 times weekly you'll start to SEE the results after around 6 weeks.

Last thing you need to know is that you got THREE things who will determinate your success in building muscles: work hard (high intensity and progressive overload), eat enough (and clean) and rest (full recovery)!!!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.