Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Resistance bands

Stella214
Stella214
United States
2012/02/21, 02:51 PM
Hi there! I have a question. Can I use resistance bands instead of the dumbbells?? And if so, how will I use them? I see that the workouts out there require to use dumbbells.  I got them as a gift and since I don't want to invest in dumbbells, I was wondering if I could use them instead. I'm trying to lose weight. I have A LOT to lose (current 295lbs. , goal 240lbs. 5'8), so any suggestions or advise would be GREAT!! Can't wait till you guys launch the Nutrition Part as well!!!
Thanks for your help!
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/02/21, 04:28 PM
Hi Stella, and welcome to the group!

Resistance bands get a bad rap.  They are portable, so you can take them on travel and still be able to exercise.  They not only work the muscle group that you're trying to focus on, but because of the way you generally use them, you also end up working the core as well.  They're very versatile, and can be easily adjusted for greater or lesser resistance...simply step on the band closer to or further away from where you're working from, and you've got instant, nearly infinite adjustment to the resistance!

Now, when you start to get serious about building muscle, resistance bands are not going to turn you into Mrs. Atlas, but for beginning programs and workouts, they are just fine.

The only problem with bands, is that you have to be creative with how you employ them.  Tie them to a doorknob and do some rowing maneuvers for the back.  Step on one halfway through to do some close or outside bicep curls.  Reverse the step and bring it behind you for some tricep exercises (the dangling end should be in front of you, reach your arms up like you're being robbed, and only bend the forearm part of your arm behind your head...that's the starting position.  Straighten your arm out above your head for the ending position).  There are lots and lots of exercises you can do with resistance bands, and that's why they are so versatile.  Stand on the middle of the band in both feet, holding the handles in your hands and do squats.  Pretty much any exercise you've ever seen someone do with a cable machine, you can duplicate with resistance bands.  Add in a weight bench, and you can do chest presses.  Stand on one end and do lawnmower pulls.  There are tons and tons of things you can do!  Those bands can be evil if you make the exercise hard enough, and they can be gentle and easy if you make the exercise easy...it's all in how much "slack" you give yourself in the band.

The thing to keep in mind with resistance bands is that you're going to do more of a cardio exercise than you are a weight training exercise, but you WILL still put on muscle.  You'll want to rest for short periods between your sets of exercises...no more than 60 seconds.  That will get your heart rate up, and that's what burns calories and fat tissue!

Good luck, and welcome aboard!
-Herald
george
george
Canada
2012/02/21, 07:21 PM
Great advice Herald! Stella, you can also create a free custom resistance bands workout right here at FreeTrainers. Just go to Exercise > Find a Workout and select it. There are various levels to choose from. Currently they are full body toning based workouts.

Best of luck and welcome to the community.