Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Question on Weight training frequency

ruzelgjamilon
ruzelgjamilon
Philippines
2012/01/30, 09:25 AM
Hi Everyone!

I have just signed up here but I have a little experience in weight training, I just never had a program to follow. 
So I created a GYM WORKOUT for Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat and Sun. And when I checked the workouts, only the cores are scheduled everyday, the rest (shoulders, chest, back, legs) are just scheduled once a week.

I heard that it is good to weight train muscle groupd atleast 2-3 times a week but if I follow the worjout created for me, then I will only be able to exercise each muscle group, once a week. 

I am 27 years old, female and I have 28% body fat and I am trying to build muscle to be speed up my metabolism.  I am not really trying to bulk up. Is once a week per muscle group enough? 

Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to ur replies. 

Just signed up last Saturday, sorry I am still not able to personalize my profile. Will do this weekend. :) 
And I just want to say this site is really great!!!
george
george
Canada
2012/01/30, 10:09 AM
Hi there and welcome to the community!

Yes, exercising ONE muscle group a week is absolutely OK. You need to truly give it your all during each workout as to fatigue the muscle so it then requires those days to rest, repair and recover.

If you would like to increase the intensity then you can try our full body circuit plans. They will help tone/build your muscle as well as help you shed fat. You can schedule these as many times per week as you wish, but I would suggest 3 times to start.

We also have our home based workouts along with exercise ball and exercise bands which are currently also full body workouts.

We will be releasing more exercise plans in the near future that give more variety and different types of splits.

Best of luck and stay on track!
2012/01/31, 12:30 AM
George, you have to know that if you record your routines in the flogs they would be phenomenal training tool and wildly popular. I think my lifting education was enhanced by reading Ron's and Amy's logs. Ron was intense. He was a patient teacher as well.
ruzelgjamilon
ruzelgjamilon
Philippines
2012/01/31, 07:16 AM (Edited: ruzelgjamilon - 2012/01/31, 07:22 AM)
Thank you George for your reply.  Now that you said it, I will take a look at the full body circuit plan. I did the workouts earlier: core, back and I did the shoulder as well since i still have time.

I have to say that i thought it will be pretty easy as I was looking at the list since I have done the workouts before. But it really pushed me to to do every sets until i had the muscle fatigue (as i read in an article some where in this site that I cannot remember cause I read too many haha). Its really nice to have someone guide you.I wish to see more of your replies in my next post.  I am sure I will have a lot of questions for you guys. :)
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/02/05, 12:04 AM
Please think about my suggestions for a while before you do anything with it, as it depends on several things...if any of them aren't quite where they need to be, it may not work for you.

I strongly support circuit (AKA cross-training) workouts.  They are the most efficient workouts you can get.  It really gives you the most bang for your buck in terms of calories burned versus how much time you spend working out.

Essentially, the goal of a circuit work out is to get most of the major muscle groups in your entire body worked all in the same day, with very small amounts of time for the breaks in between each of the exercises.  One of the common traits about a circuit workout is that you use lighter weight, and 3-5 more reps per round.

Now, here's the things to consider for a circuit workout.  If you are just starting out on a program, this may not be the best choice.  You should have a decent cardio rhythm down or this will really stress out your body.  That said, the beginner circuit here is fabulous, and is almost exclusively based in weight machines (also good for beginners so you don't have to worry about form).  One of the other things to consider is do you have access to the equipment?  If you don't have a gym to use, this is nearly impossible.  Third, can you find all of the weight machines available during the times you need them.  If you have to wait for someone else in between exercises, you're not getting the effect that the circuit workout needs.  You should rest no longer than 45-60 seconds between each exercise.  Ideally, you move from one machine to the next without stopping.

When you're first starting out, you really don't want to stress out your joints or ligaments.  They tend to recover more slowly than your cardiovascular/cardiopulmonary system does, and they also recover more slowly than do your muscles.  Even if you feel that the exercise is getting to easy for you, stick with each weight level for at least a week, to give your joints and ligaments time to catch up to the weight.  If you exercise too frequently, or advance too quickly, you're risking an injury that will ultimately put you back where you started (or worse).

Remember, this is supposed to be a permanent lifestyle change.  You've got the rest of your life to work your way up to more advanced workouts and heavier weights, and longer distances.  It's far better to take it slow in the beginning and teach your body the proper movements on lighter weights.  That way you won't hurt yourself when you move up, and you build a much stronger base for your body to work from.

Again, please consider these points carefully.  I'm not a personal trainer, and you should probably speak with one about any concerns you have prior to starting any exercise program...but the stuff here at freetrainers is very good, and you'll see results if you stick to the program!

-Herald
ruzelgjamilon
ruzelgjamilon
Philippines
2012/02/19, 08:06 AM
Hey Herald!!! Thank you for that very nice advice. :) I was actually thinking how exactly  the circuit training differs from the normal weight training.  :) 

This week I will be starting with the circuit training. I sticked with the weight training for 3 weeks to give my muscles a jumpstart and to also get in tune with  the work out schedule. :) 

"Remember, this is supposed to be a permanent lifestyle change.  You've got the rest of your life to work your way up to more advanced workouts and heavier weights, and longer distances.  It's far better to take it slow in the beginning and teach your body the proper movements on lighter weights.  That way you won't hurt yourself when you move up, and you build a much stronger base for your body to work from. "

That is very true. Some friends of mine are rushing into the training too quickly and they just also give up too soon, just right after results are showing. 

See you around!