Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

started weight lifting, why am i gaining

ibornpinay
ibornpinay
United States
2002/12/07, 01:48 AM
I started weight lifting two weeks ago and i've gained 10lbs. I know i'm not suppose to look at the scale but i had to step on the scale at the doctors..it was a routine checkup for my diabetes. Since i found out i've gained i got disappointed and upset. I just don't get it i can see in my arms that is getting more muscle and i see my shoulders are more toned now. I felt like i was losing weight n toning faster than doing tredmil everyday. Please make me understand this. i was 185lbs now i'm 195lbs..this is ridiculous :(

-DawN
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/12/07, 02:00 AM
No it's not ridiculous since we are all more or less obsessed by our weight.....

Try to forget about it and take measurations instead. Muscles weight a lot more than fat (but look 100 times better!!!)

Don't give up!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2002/12/07, 09:57 AM
In the first four weeks of my program, I put on 6 pounds, which is lots when you're expecting to lose. The good news is that after the muscle comes on, it increases your metabolism, so burning fat gets easier. Now I'm down 4 from my original weight, but it looks like I've lost 15 or 20 pounds. You will see results if you are persistent. Hang in there!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/07, 10:29 AM
No No no not rediculous. When I first started training, I weighed 163. My intention was to lose weight, worked with a trainer etc.
After the first month, I was up to 169. What the heck is going on with me, I thought. Well I called my trainer, we met he measured me, (with calipers) not a scale, and low and behold my fat dropped and the weight was muscle.
I now weigh 176 and my bodyfat is 12. According to the scale I am overweight but my fat is down.
Like effalunt said, hang in there and keep up the good work.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada