Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Fitness assessment confusion

abloke36
abloke36
United Kingdom
2011/05/06, 07:04 AM
I am a fairly fit guy and regularly go mountain walking which was shown in a recent fitness at a local gym I have joined. my aerobic capacity, endurance, stamina, all things heart related were good to excellent for a guy of 46.

However the confusion starts when it comes to BMI/Body fat measure and hips to waist ratio.

I have decided to join the gym because I see i have a few extra llbs. I have good legs but little upper body strength and decided I wanted to build strength and muscle mass.

However my printed assessment said i had 37% body fat and i NEED TO LOSE 20/30 LLB. However my BMI was 27 and hips to waist ratio just a little elevated. I'd guess 8/10 llb of fat loss.

Why such a large discrepancy bt fat % and BMI ?

There is no way i am clinically obese.

The problem comes at the gym where the trainer wants me to concentrate on cardio and light weights to lose 20llb but i'd look far too skinny.

I want to eventually reduce bodyfat my building upper body to match my legs!

Am i being obstinate ?
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2011/05/06, 11:00 AM
Toss the BMI out the window. BMI and BF% numbers likely won't even be close. Go with BF%. Having not seen you or the assessment, I can't say if you're 37% or not.

BMI is weight/height ratio and can be way off. If one is 6' and 210lbs of muscle, it may show you as obese, even though you are lean.

t