Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

warm-up stretching?

randomcha75
randomcha75
United States
2002/11/13, 12:07 PM
can anyone give me some good warm-up stretches to do before beginning my workout, especially ones for arms and shoulders? i want to make sure my warming up & stretching are correct so that i'm not as sore after my workout. i just started working out two days ago & boy am i sore! my arms and shoulders are still very very stiff. i know partly this is due to the fact that i'm a novice, but some good stretches would make me feel a lot better. thanks.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/11/13, 01:51 PM
One of the easiest things to do is really light sets of the exercises that got you sore in the first place. Start your workout by doing 10 to 15 minutes of light cardio to get your blood flowing followed by some light sets of your workout movements. I warm up shoulders for several minutes before starting any upper body workout (chest or back) - Try some front raises with db's or just a plate. Lean over and do laterals to the rear then stand up and do side laterals. This especially applies if you've got some old shoulder injuries like some of us old farts. :)
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/11/14, 01:49 AM
Oh I just want to say one thing; DON'T STRETCH A COLD MUSCLE!! Do a little jumping, light cardio etc before stretching your muscles.....

Now doing as mike says, is not bad either...... (o;

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
dpking44
dpking44
United States
2002/11/14, 07:31 AM
Agree with Philia2, don't try to stretch cold muscles. It's funny, when I go running with someone I see them stretching without any kind of warmup and I just start running and never have any problems. I stretch after running. Before strength training, I run on the treadmill for 5+ minutes at a good pace to get blood flowing which warms the muscles up a bit. Then I do some light sets of whatever muscle group I'm going to work. I find this is very helpful and I rarely have any significant soreness after lifting. At least not the painful kind associated with pulled or over-stretched muscles.

Good luck
DP