Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

What is it I'm doing wrong?

Riggsby24
Riggsby24
United States
2010/12/04, 12:50 AM
For a little over 2 1/2 months now I have been exercising at least 6 days a week and keeping my diet low in saturated fats, cholesterol, sugars and simple carbohydrates while keeping protein high. I have also been making sure I drink at least 60 ounces of water a day, mostly more.
After the first 16 days, I lost 12 lbs. It made me happy and I felt a bit healthier, so I was motivated to continue.
3 weeks passed and (though I kept to the same health based diet and exercise routine) I didn't lose any more weight... In fact I gained 2 lbs. So I went online to do some more research.
I came to the conclusion I may have just hit some sort of plateau due to my only using ellipticals and treadmills for my 60 min workouts. So, I started doing 45 mins of weight lifting every other day after a 30 min warm up.
So, I have been doing that (60 mins of cardio one day, alternated with 30 mins cardio +45 mins of weights the next day, with healthy diet) ever since. I even had a skimpy Thanksgiving dinner... To date I STILL haven't lost any more weight.
It wouldn't bother me so much if the 10 lbs I've lost was a gradual thing, but to have lost a bunch at first and then nothing for about two months... I gotta admit I'm losing motivation. Workouts seem to be more difficult to get through and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Help, if you can, please.

--------------
-Riggsby McKracken
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/12/04, 09:36 AM
You may have added some muscle. I would suggest getting a body composition done to see what your bodyfat % is and see if that changes.

Do your clothes fit differently despite not losing any weight? How do you look in the mirror? Has your shape continued to change?

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
Riggsby24
Riggsby24
United States
2010/12/05, 01:57 AM
I will definately get my body fat % measured and see if there is any change a month or so afterwards. As for clothes fitting differently, I can't really tell because I always get pants that are too loose and use a notchless belt. My gut is less round and more flabby now but seems the same as after the initial weight drop.
I am going to try changing my regular cardio workout into a high intensity interval training session and alternate IT with my weight lifting. Maybe my metabolism just needs a jump?

--------------
-Riggsby McKracken