Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

9 years of lifting, Chest Advice

WVeeder
WVeeder
United States
2010/11/26, 10:26 AM
Been lifting 9 years, and have seen some awesome improvements in that time, my question is this, How often shouls I be doing chest?? My current workout consists of x5 days per week, with a bodypart on each day, and changing up the routines after 5-6 weeks. My chest is still something I struggle with, I still can't seem to move past 4 reps at 235lbs. I weigh 220. I look at all the amazing chests out there on magazines, my buddies at the gym and wonder jeesh... are they purposely overtraining, or just concentrating on that area... I would like to add some size to it both outwardly and width wise.... Any pointers??? Thanks!
WVeeder
WVeeder
United States
2010/11/26, 10:35 AM
I should also add that I pretty proportionate at this point as well, 6'1", 220, 44" chest, 16.5" bicep, Waist 34"
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/11/26, 07:38 PM
No more than a couple of times a week... not on consecutive days.
2011/03/31, 07:08 AM
I would consider adjusting your workouts. I realize that you are more concerned with aesthetics, however you may benefit from a strength based program to build your bench press as that's a fairly low bench number relative to your bodyweight and training experience. As you build more strength your chest will increase in size. Many natural lifters have easier times making muscle gains of strengh programs and good nutrition. What you see in magazines is often far from reality, many of those fitness models use steroids, especially the bodybuilders pros. Additionally magazines regularly photoshop their pictures for greatest effect.

There are guys lifting -3 times a week when it comes to bench press/chest days however it all depends on things like training volume, recovery abilities, etc.