Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Can't seem to lose weight or size!

melonah
melonah
United Kingdom
2010/04/13, 06:30 AM
I'm 21, 176lb and and 5'6". I think I eat healthily (balanced diet that generally averages out at 1400-1500 calories a day, try to keep bad fats to a minimum - very concious of this. Additionally, I do 30 mins of cardio (ususally jogging or cross trainer) plus 20-30 mins of toning exercises and free weights at least 4 times a week. On top of that I have a fairly busy lifestyle that means I do a fair amount of walking everyday.

I know I'm not on a stict diet and don't do loads of exercise (I've tried this in the past and it didn't make much difference anyway), but I just can't seem to change my size at all. In the three weeks I've been following my current routine I've noticed I feel fitter and my muscles are stronger, but I still have the layer of fat over the top that really bugs me. the main problem areas are my hips and thighs (I actusally have quite a small waist). I have until august to acheive my 'bikini body,' so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Helen
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/04/13, 08:46 AM
You're probably not eating enough. Up the calories by about 100-200 and that will help.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
daimenkain
daimenkain
United States
2010/04/23, 12:09 PM
It sounds like you're not eating enough so your body is holding onto the fat stores it has more rigourously than yoru exercise would dictate.
missyaline
missyaline
United States
2010/04/28, 02:55 AM
Yes, I agree with Tim & Daimen. I was only eating about 1200/day (I'm a little shorter and weigh less) and exercising and had the same issue. I upped my calories and "good fat" (peanut butter, avacodos, olive oil) and I have seen a reduction in overall body fat. Also, remember to eat lean protein after your workouts so that your body can repair itself. I know it goes against what we think, but it really does work! Best of luck and don't get discouraged! :)