Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Advice needed for beginner!

HeroAtHeart
HeroAtHeart
United States
2010/03/31, 10:35 PM
After a 14 year layoff from exercising regularly, I am ready to get back into shape again. I haven't exercised regularly since high school and I believe it is never too late. I am interested in both cardio and weight training. As such I am posting here and not just in the Beginner's for Weight Training section. I have not yet filled out the Fitness and Nutritional Plan yet, because I am waiting to hear from other members of this forum before I fill those out.

One thing I am worried about is how my body is going to handel working out after such a long layoff. I have only had two workouts so far where I spent 40 minutes once a week on an Arc Machine. And I think I may have injured my leg the second time. I plan on talking to a doctor tomorrow. Regardless of injury I plan on still working out and doing whatever I can.

I am dedicated to taking it easy the first couple of months but how much is too much for a beginner. I have tried before a couple of years ago but my body couldn't handle it. Anyone can learn more about my story by reading my post in the Welcome section, entitled Greetings everyone.

I hope this forum can help me because when I do work out I really enjoy it and I want to keep doing it. I want to be in great shape someday whether it takes a few months or a few years.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

HeroAtHeart
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2010/04/01, 08:06 AM
Biggest mistake a beginner makes is doing two much to soon. Go slowly and add in cardio and weight training slowly. Good luck and welcome

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
THE HIGH COST OF LIVING AINT NOTHING COMPARED TO THE COST OF LIVING HIGH.

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/04/01, 12:37 PM
Welcome to freetrainers. I couldn't find your post in the welcome section but what I would suggest like Mutt said start off slow.
Suggest using the definition program on here at beginner level to get used to the movements again and the equipment. Also suggest that you do cardio as a warm up for a short time like 5-7 minutes again this will ease you into the activity.
When you do your program it asls if you have an injury, it is up to you to fill in.
Good luck.!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
HeroAtHeart
HeroAtHeart
United States
2010/04/01, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I am definately trying to start off slow. I am going to check out the definition program as soon as I get a chance.

What is the most low impact cardio that one can do. I love those Arc Machines but they might be too much for my body at the moment. I have only used those machines twice and it was a week apart. And it was for 40 minutes each time. And I think I might have minorly injured my right leg. Should I switch to the bikes until my body gets stronger?

Thanks to all who have anymore advice to share.

HeroAtHeart
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/04/01, 11:15 PM
Not sure what an "Arc Machine" is. The best bang for your buck and no impact would be an elliptical machine, but do 20-25 minutes if you can. You should be ok as for no impact. What is the leg problem? Maybe consult a doc before continuing any exercise?

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
HeroAtHeart
HeroAtHeart
United States
2010/04/01, 11:38 PM
Maybe I am confusing my terms? An elliptical machine might be the same thing as an arc machine. Or ARC might be the name of the company.

My leg problem is mostly an uncomfortable feeling in the knee. I have been diagnosed with tendinitis in the past. I am planning on talking with a doctor about it.

I am not worried. I will do what my body lets me do. I will never give up.

But yeah I will do only 20 - 25 minutes the next time. Unless I am told by a doctor not to. My goal is to acclimate my body and hopefully in a few months I will be able to go strong and increase my workouts with no problem.

HeroAtHeart

Mike