Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

I am 300 lbs, question about my routine

emery92ax
emery92ax
United States
2010/02/25, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone, I can't believe I'm professing it, but it's true. The last scale reading was 303, and my husbands was 240. Me and my husband are both on a mission together to get healthy. We just signed up a gym membership last week, we met with a trainer to get some pointers, and we have launched on a programs of weight training and cardio. Specifically, I am using some routines from this site where we are targeting a muscle group one a day for three days a week, and then doing cardio 3 days a week. Each every other day, in the evenings. I personally have time to do something in the morning. And so my question is should I? And if so what? Cardio or muscle training?

Any other pieces of advice would be great?

We can't afford the extra money for a trainer, but can anyone give pointers on how we can know that we're pushing eachother hard enough.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2010/02/25, 10:32 AM
Well, as far as your morning goes, I'd say that cardio would be the best use of time. Especially considering you have a strength training routine set up for the nights. One thing to keep in mind is that when people go in full throttle, they usually end up burning out. So doing the extra work is up to you. Personally I'd just focus on getting the diet and current routine down first, then add the extra cardio in as I progressed, but that's just me.
emery92ax
emery92ax
United States
2010/02/25, 11:38 AM
Thank you so much for the answer.

Can you offer any advise as to me and my husband training eachother? How do we know that we're pushing eachother hard enough?
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2010/02/25, 01:38 PM
Well that's a tough one! For strength training, the rule of thumb is that if you can complete all sets and all reps for a movement(say, bench press for example: 3 sets, 10 reps each set) then next time increase the weight slightly. The idea is to work up to a goal (3 sets, 10 reps), and once you reach it, repeat the process. Does that make sense?
For cardio, while you're doing it, ask yourself out loud "Am I okay.....Yes I am". If you can't say that without being totally out of breath, back it down just a hair until you can. It isn't science, but it will help you from pushing too hard.