Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Exercising...but still gaining weight

wyattjl2
wyattjl2
United States
2010/02/05, 09:01 AM
I started exercising with a friend about 4 weeks ago. We have been going 3-4 times a week. Doing cardio & weights, and also some classes like spin and zumba (latin dance). But I have gained almost 4 pounds since I started!!!! Why am i not loosing weight? When I wasn't exercising I was maintaining my just fine! Advise would be appreciated!!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/02/05, 07:35 PM
You might be eating more since you started to be active. Take a look at your diet. It is possible to gain weight if you are putting on muscle (lean tissue)if you had no extra fat to begin with. Muscle weighs more than fat.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/02/08, 07:49 PM
Body 'shape' may change. This is a good thing, as your overall bodycomposition is getting better...i.e...your lean tissue to fat ratio. Keep an eye on the mirror moreso than the scale. Scales can be very decieving as so many things can have an impact on your bodyweight in a day such as fluid intake, time of day, scale inaccuracy, so on. If you were happy with 'maintaining' yourself before, then why did you start exercising? Chances are if you are feeling better, you are looking better.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer