Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

arm workout for rotator cuff injury

surfinggrrrl
surfinggrrrl
United States
2010/02/02, 12:25 PM
HI-

I strained my rotator cuff last July (working out)and I have been doing PT exercises since Sept.09. My shoulder is much better, but I can still feel it. I want to start working on my upper body. What are some arm exercises I can do which will both tone and strenthen my upper body, without injuring my rotator cuff further?

Some exercises I have tried do not hurt when I preform them, but it hurts later, so I am uncertain, which ones to try.??

thanks
BA
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/02/02, 01:39 PM
Suggest you consult a Sports therapist as they will evaluate your present condition. This can't be done on the internet.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/02/02, 05:53 PM
I concur with carivan...

Are you warming up your shoulders first? What exercises are you doing?

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
surfinggrrrl
surfinggrrrl
United States
2010/02/02, 07:16 PM
I do stretching exercises, given to me by Physical Theraphy, hard to describe. Shoulder rolls, backwards, and
pendulum swings, and one thats like flys only you don't extend backwards(just as far as you can before pain), and pulling your arm across your body. I do sets of these 3x a day. Sorry I don't remember the names of these exercises. Any help is appreciated.

thanks
ba
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/02/02, 07:37 PM
I would head back to the PT and see what he/she can set you up with.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
gilberto.h
gilberto.h
United States
2010/02/09, 02:54 AM
Hey surfinggrrrl,

I damaged my rotarcuff as well playing shinny last winter. After a couple months and countless stretches he set me up with these.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/265.html

he also gave me two more but they were printouts from his office which I have since tossed.

I started off with just self arm weight (injury was pretty bad) and worked up by pound by pound from there. Now it is as strong as ever with only the occasional click.

I read in your post you want to begin strengthening your upper body but occasionally your shoulder will hurt later. I'm no doctor but you are only as strong as your weakest part and since practically all upperbody exercises involve your shoulder in some way or another, using enough weight to actively workout your healthy muscles, will likely not be good for your weak shoulder.

I agree with TimDay and would guess their response would be to add some light weight training building up into the stretching.