Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

RE: My Body is a MESS!

xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/11/10, 01:30 AM
Please refer to this thread for my previous question:
http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=0&t_ix=10376

NOW, I saved up some money to buy an elliptical machine (I love it)- and it should be here within a week.

Question: Can I just mainly do Cardio and expect fast results?
Can you pleas give me more ideas on strength training?

returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/11/10, 10:24 AM
Up front cardio does burn more calories than strength training. HOWEVER, after you lift your body is continuously metabolizing calories to repair the damaged muscle tissue. So it pays you off on the back end. Also the more lean muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolism will be. It takes up to 50 extra calories a day to maintain a pound of lean muscle tissue. So by just having a little more muscle, you burn more calories.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/10, 03:32 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. What brand of Elliptical did you buy?
There are no fast results, but results should start to appear after 7-10 days.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/11/10, 10:28 PM
I bought an inexpensive one,based on reviews, the eclipse 1100. what do you think of it? Based on reviews it's good for short people, and I'm short.

============
Quoting from carivan:

Congratulations on your purchase. What brand of Elliptical did you buy?
There are no fast results, but results should start to appear after 7-10 days.

=============
xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/11/10, 10:30 PM
GR8! I will check out some strength training exercises, I'm pretty sure, lifting these babies up twenty - thirty times a day, should count, but hey, im doing the exercise more so because it relaxes me, will make me feel better about myself and body- Plus it'll count as me time! can't wait, it's gonna get here on Friday!

============
Quoting from returnofplex:

Up front cardio does burn more calories than strength training. HOWEVER, after you lift your body is continuously metabolizing calories to repair the damaged muscle tissue. So it pays you off on the back end. Also the more lean muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolism will be. It takes up to 50 extra calories a day to maintain a pound of lean muscle tissue. So by just having a little more muscle, you burn more calories.
=============
xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/11/10, 10:33 PM
also guys can you tell me if its wrong if I do 30 mins-hour every day of the week? I used to do that before, and didnt have any problems... is there something i should know?
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/11/11, 10:31 AM
The most important thing is that you set your program up in such a manner that allows you to stay consistent. I lift three days a week, do cardio on two, and rest for two.

============
Quoting from xnermeenx:

also guys can you tell me if its wrong if I do 30 mins-hour every day of the week? I used to do that before, and didnt have any problems... is there something i should know?
=============
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/11, 05:50 PM
I train something like returnofplex but we are all unique in our objectives, goals and habits. I'll throw in maybe an extra cardio session since I have an elliptical machine at home.
I wouldn't do the 7 day a week cardio as your body needs to rest. Especially now that you are looking after the babies. The strength training will merit you and make you stranger for them and yourself avoiding back and shoulder strains when you lift. Also don't forget to bend at the knees when lifting!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/11, 05:56 PM
After looking at it on the web and reading the specs it seems like you will get a bang for your buck. Although it doesn't say the circumference of the rear wheel, seems to have an array of features. Good for home use in my opinion.
Here we have a slightly larger one as I find the smaller ones not smooth because of a small circumference. It is a vision fitness 1500 with a 21 inch wheel. Very smooth.

Use it well and take care of those kiddies!
============
Quoting from xnermeenx:

I bought an inexpensive one,based on reviews, the eclipse 1100. what do you think of it? Based on reviews it's good for short people, and I'm short.

=============

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/11/14, 04:20 PM
Hey ya'll here's an update!

Yesterday the machine got here, I set it up, I am having a few problems with it being wobbly and all... but all in all, I did a good 20 min workout (10 mins apart, those babies didn't let me) WHOA! Can you say SLEEPY afterwards, I could not keep my eyes open so I went at it again.

Question for the experts!
Is it okay to do say 15 mins here and there rather than a whole block of 30 or 60 mins of workout on it?

============
Quoting from carivan:

After looking at it on the web and reading the specs it seems like you will get a bang for your buck. Although it doesn't say the circumference of the rear wheel, seems to have an array of features. Good for home use in my opinion.
Here we have a slightly larger one as I find the smaller ones not smooth because of a small circumference. It is a vision fitness 1500 with a 21 inch wheel. Very smooth.

Use it well and take care of those kiddies!

=============
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/14, 11:01 PM
Absolutely

Look outside of the box! Any exercise is better than none!
If its twice a day so be it. Even a walk afer lunch with the kiddies is good.

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)