Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

My Body is a MESS- HELP!

xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/10/20, 02:08 AM
I am a 25 yr old new triplet mommy.

Before I was pregnant, i was on a low fat diet, and lost close to 10 pounds.
A few months prior to that, I did mainly cardio and low fat diet (i know now thats a no-no)and lost about 20 pounds.
Prepregnancy- 170lbs

NOW- my body is a FAT mess.... I am 5'2" and weigh 208 lbs.
Thing is- I was on a 4000 calorie/day diet to grow my beautiful triplet boys- who were born at 2.5 lbs at 29 weeks, thanks to the great diet I was on- look at me now...I'm thankful for them being healthy, but I am in an unhealthy state of mind, body and soul 4 months postpartum...

I can't seem to lose any more weight even though i cut down on my food intake.
Because of lack of sleep, I wake up hungry all the time and used to munch away- I got these hoodia pills to help with appetite suppression, only to feel energyless and lousy most of the time.
I would say nutrition wise, I'm doing OK- I don't go hungry, but my body doesn't expect a certain time to eat- so that maybe contributing to fat retention for some reason, I have no idea...

I DO NOT HAVE TIME OR THE CHANCE to go out and run, walk or go to the gym. WHat can I do at home and see a difference, even if it's slight.

HELP ME... I need to do something, and I'm lost and don't know where to start or what to expect and it's taking a toll on me and my marriage.
I've been overly expectant of my husband to make me feel attractive- but I just don't buy into it, I feel terrible.
xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/10/20, 02:12 AM
Wanted to add that my problem areas ofcourse are all over the place- my hips, waist, tummy, thighs, legs, behind, arms. Problem areas I've always had were my hips, thighs and legs.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/10/21, 01:10 PM
"I DO NOT HAVE TIME OR THE CHANCE to go out and run, walk or go to the gym. WHat can I do at home and see a difference, even if it's slight."

Well you pretty much have two options here: You can get a free program here for just body weight exercises that can be done from home. And you can manage your diet. That means counting calories and eating a little below your maintainance level.

Or you can do neither of those things and pretty much just stay locked in the place you're at.
xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/10/24, 02:07 PM

============
Quoting from returnofplex:

"I DO NOT HAVE TIME OR THE CHANCE to go out and run, walk or go to the gym. WHat can I do at home and see a difference, even if it's slight."

Well you pretty much have two options here: You can get a free program here for just body weight exercises that can be done from home. And you can manage your diet. That means counting calories and eating a little below your maintainance level.

Or you can do neither of those things and pretty much just stay locked in the place you're at.

=============

??

I don't understand why the tone of your reply isn't helpful at all....

I am stating my situation, what I can and can't do... MEANING, you as a trainer, knowing what you know, could tell me what can be done at home, or in my case, what NEEDS to be done? Do I need to do strength training? Do I need to do mainly cardio? What type of diet should I stay on? A diet that'll help give me energy and keep me alive to take care of 3 babies... those are the questions I expected to be answered, so I simplified it a bit more if you can answer those questions for me...

thank you.

*Confused mom*
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/10/24, 04:03 PM
Basically plex summarized what needs to be done for you to get your self back in shape.
You must bring down your calories as he said, and speed up your metabolism by doing the following:
#1 Eat 3 meals per day + 2 healthy snacks (speeds up metabolism)
#2 Cut out fatty foods (there are good swaps)
#3 Add fiber to your diet
#4 Eat complex carbs (cut out anything white)
#5 Eat citrus fruits (more fiber)
#6 exercise like plex said get a program from here.
Your snacks can be fruit and nuts or low fat yogurt.
If you don't have a sugar problem, use jams on toasted breads instead of margarine or butter. NO fat and less calories.
Good luck and make time for yourself.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/10/24, 05:51 PM
I also forgot to add sleep is most important. If a person does not get enough sleep, we don't get enough ceratonintherefor we feel hungry, but in most cases our bodies don't need the fuel/food.
People who suffer from sleep disorders or regular sleep interruptions experience hunger all the time.
Why is cardio and low fat a "NO NO"?

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2009/10/25, 02:27 PM
good luck xnermeenx! You've come on here so you've made that first step to getting what you want - it must be incredibly difficult being a mother of triplets, so I think it takes tremendous courage to decide to get back you pre-pregnancy body. I suppose it will take a long time for you, as you have three little babies that need you but a suppose if you have a bad-snack free home for starters, then you can only eat the good stuff. Carivan - I'm surprised you're telling her she needs sleep - I don't think she has that luxury right now! How about regular buggy-strolls with the babies? I'm pretty sure there are specific exercises you can do with your baby...http://www.fun-baby-games-online.com/exercises-for-mom-and-baby.html.

Good luck!

Katie
xxx
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/10/26, 01:51 PM
First off, sorry for the vague answer to your inquiry. The impression I got from your post was that you weren't going to do any cardio or working out, but still wanted the answer to your weight loss problems. I get a lot of people asking me about how I did it myself, and there is always a decidedly negative "oh" that follows my answers. I apologize for mis-interpreting you post.
Carivan hit it dead on for the diet part. You need high quality fuel to get you through the day and make your body healthier.
You can lose the weight through just diet alone, but it will be much more effective if you find some time for a strength training program(even just body weight exercises from this site) and cardio as well. Even just a half hour a day of either of these activities will increase your weight loss tremendously.

============
Quoting from xnermeenx:

=============
xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/11/10, 01:32 AM

============
Quoting from carivan:

I also forgot to add sleep is most important. If a person does not get enough sleep, we don't get enough ceratonintherefor we feel hungry, but in most cases our bodies don't need the fuel/food.
People who suffer from sleep disorders or regular sleep interruptions experience hunger all the time.
Why is cardio and low fat a "NO NO"?

=============
I read on the boards here that that is wrong to do because cardio basically drains you of energy along with low fat, you get weak bones, less energy, less nutrition..etc
is that correct?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/10, 03:29 PM
If a person is trying to build muscle, then yes cardio at the beginning of a weight work out will make you tire quicker and will defeat the purpose. Otherwise cardio exercise is extremely healthy according to the Canadian heart association and American heart associations.
So to answe your question, no it is not correct.

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

xnermeenx
xnermeenx
United States
2009/11/14, 04:17 PM

============
Quoting from carivan:

If a person is trying to build muscle, then yes cardio at the beginning of a weight work out will make you tire quicker and will defeat the purpose. Otherwise cardio exercise is extremely healthy according to the Canadian heart association and American heart associations.
So to answe your question, no it is not correct.

=============

Whoops, I meant doing cardio along with a low fat diet, makes you lose more of the lean muscles.
I know Cardio is excellent for workout- it makes me feel good:)
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/11/14, 11:08 PM
The most important factor in exercise and weight control is not the percentage of fat calories burned, but the total calories burned during the activity. The harder you use your elliptical, the more calories you use per minute. Although you will be burning fewer "fat calories", you will be burning more total calories, and in turn, will lose more weight. We should all be on a low fat diet in any case.

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

armywife65
armywife65
United States
2009/12/21, 10:03 PM
Hi
I know it's hard to exercise when you have even 1 child, so let a lone having 3 at once, must be really taking a toll on you. And sometimes husbands don't understand. (sometimes i wish they could have kids and then see if they want it all the time..lol)
This is what I would do, and I do this as well. When I think I don't have time, there went another second wasted on me thinking I don't have time.
When doing the dishes, brushing your teeth...do calf raises. If you are breast feeding, great, while you are feeding on one side, and you have 1 of those propping things to hold the baby in place, grab a 2 or 3# weight and do some biceps with the other free arm while breast feeding. Then when you switch sides, you also switch and work the other arm. When you put the baby down before feeding the next one. drop down and do some situps. Any form of exercise will help.
As for eating, buy a bag of spinach leaves and keep them with you. they are low in calories or a bag of small carrots.
There are so many that you can do, even...sex...lol..you burn calories that way as well and a lot too =)
I wish you the best of luck and congrats on the triplets.

--------------
Army Wife