Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Question about smoking

Enkidu
Enkidu
Belgium
2002/07/02, 02:48 PM
As some of you may have read, I also started taking up BBing for a little more then 3 weeks now and I intend to stick with it and do it right.
But now my question, I have been a smoker for over 10 years for which you could be ashamed caus 10 years is a long long time in smokingyears. Now I wanna quite for good with that junk but need to know what my body will do?? Will I gain fat in places I never had fat before?. Also for the guys that share the same experience, how much kilos exactly did you personally gain after quitting smoking for so long and also keeping up with eating 6-7 times and working out heavily?? I can imagine it will be quite a serious booster but how much I cannot predict.

Any good comments are appreciated,

Enk.

Any
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/07/02, 08:06 PM
When I quit smoking, I didn't gain any weight, because I am very active in the gym. Most people gain weight after stopping because I think they tend to eat more to substitute their cravings. Just try and stick to a good eating habit and exercise routine and you should be fine.

--------------
Lisa
prettygentle
prettygentle
United States
2002/07/02, 10:46 PM
check out this: www.quitnet.com

There is another site for quitting at the american lung association called Freedom From Smoking. Excellent site. It arms you in just about every way in prep for your quit.
http://www.lungusa.org/ffs/

Both excellent sites to help you quit for good. ;o)

BTW, my quote in my signature doesn't in anyway refer to quitting smoking LOL

--------------
pg
*The prettygentleone isn't so gentle anymore! ^v^
--The second you quit, then it's official - you're a failure.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/03, 03:17 AM
It's all a question about metabolism. The nicotine keep up the metabolism so when you stop smoking you just have to do other things to keep burning the same amount of calories and then you wont gain any weight.
Do as Lisa and you'll be smokefree, stay fit and ten times healthier!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Enkidu
Enkidu
Belgium
2002/07/03, 10:49 AM
But I want to gain weight, alot as a matter of fact, just not in certain places:):) The way I see it, the more mass you have the more it helps you with your BBing.

rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/07/03, 10:53 AM
Well, the way I see it, smoking does more to counteract what you are tyring to do. Also, there are so much carcinogenics in cigarettes you are pumping into your body that it will counteract any supplementation that you could be taking. Many of us have quit smoking and feel way better...

Good luck and hope you will quit, too!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
prettygentle
prettygentle
United States
2002/07/03, 12:07 PM
For example:

Smoking causes your blood vessels to constrict which in turn will decrease blood flow. (The constriction is why it increases B/P and the decreased blood flow to extremities is why so many people (namely older smokers) tend to have circulatory problems, mostly in their legs... sometimes requiring amputation.)

In BB'ing, your muscles need that extra O2 to help with growth.

Jeez, now that I said that, don't I feel about "duh"... LOL Seeing as how I am still a smoker, too?? Sheesh. Armed with all this info and don't do a darned thing with it!

--------------
pg
*The prettygentleone isn't so gentle anymore! ^v^
--The second you quit, then it's official - you're a failure.
Enkidu
Enkidu
Belgium
2002/07/03, 03:26 PM
Thats some nice info and certainly stuff to think about, I really want to get of smoking, it will be hard but I have a goal and the motivation now. So it will have to work or I am a big wuss:)

Thnx,

Enki
glynnz
glynnz
United Kingdom
2002/07/04, 11:34 AM
Enkidu,

I quit smoking just over the weekend! I've lasted pretty well...I've done it because of my training, my appetite has gone up since then, but that is alright for someone that needs to eat to build. I've also watched what i've eating so not too fall into the cravings of sweet foods or things like that..It has been hard but you have to want to quit..

Hey, at the end of the day, we can do it....so do it!

Good luck!
junglrulz
junglrulz
United States
2002/07/05, 10:10 PM
Enkidu,
You have good input here but I thought I should add to it. Quitting: Your sense of taste improves tremendously which adds to many weight gain episodes. You will not gain in any places you did not store fat before. Replace the addiction with a training addiction, worked for me after 37 years of the poison. Nicotine kills vascularity, it constricts the arteries and limits oxygen transfer. When you do quit, and I hope you choose "cold turkey", increase your water intake daily to flush the toxins from your body efficently. Craving pangs generally last a few minutes unless you focus on the desire. Get PO'd at them and hit the gym as often as you need to get past the detox phase. As you increase your caloric intake and your workout program, the gains to your mass will make it all worth while. My very best to you.
Enkidu
Enkidu
Belgium
2002/07/06, 08:59 AM
yes allways nice to see comments from smokers who quit and were successfull at it:) My motivation is very big, so quitting will work. I allready see huge changes in my body and I think these changes will be even 10x better when I cut this nasty habit.