Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Muscle gain without a spotter?

froshman
froshman
United States
2009/07/31, 05:41 PM
I've started to use the smith machine now, then move onto free weight benches, but I always have to stop when I'm unsure of whether I can definitely lift another rep (I have had experiences of dropping the weight and getting trapped under it. Not cool). How can you make up for lack of a spotter?
thepoohguy
thepoohguy
United States
2009/08/01, 08:59 AM
I've run into this problem as well. In fact, it made me stop working out all together because of it. Why not just leave the guards off of the ends of the bar? That way if you can't do it, raise one side up and let the weights fall off the other side.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/08/01, 06:15 PM
Why not try dumbbells? Once I was benching without a spotter and when I couldn't get the last rep up, a GIRL had to come down from the treadmills and help me!

============
Quoting from froshman:

I've started to use the smith machine now, then move onto free weight benches, but I always have to stop when I'm unsure of whether I can definitely lift another rep (I have had experiences of dropping the weight and getting trapped under it. Not cool). How can you make up for lack of a spotter?
=============
CJStratton
CJStratton
United States
2009/08/07, 10:46 AM
I agree with thepoohguy. Just drop the weights if you can't lift it alone. Then be sure to snag a friend next time. Or use free weights. I take the class in school, I have for the past three years, and Ive found that since most guys wont spot a girl theres tons of small ways to beat not having a spotter. Doing lots of reps of what you can do easily, not just maxing out all at once. That kinda of thing.

--------------
Boys, don\\'t hate girls because they play lacrosse better.
Hate us because we do it in skirts!