Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

losing muscle

natalie4162
natalie4162
Canada
2009/07/21, 05:26 PM
I just had a fitness test today, and apparently I lost 6 lbs of muscle :angry: I am baffled by this??? test was done by an Omron viral electric impedence. So frustrating. I work out 6 days a week, I feel I challenge myself (change my program every 4-6 weeks), eat relatively clean 25%fat, 35% good carbs, 40% protein (for about a year now) I take multi-vitamin, Vitamin D & E, calcium, omega 3, Q10, BCAA, CLA, resveratrol, L-Carnitine, Glutamine, and of course whey & soy protein. I just don't understand it? Does anyone have any ideas why I would be losing muscle???
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/07/21, 05:46 PM
I am not a big fan of electrical impedence. Not even a pinch test with calipeurs.
The first could be unaccurate due to the time of day, level of body fluids, and time of the month for you. Don't let it get to you and continue what you are doing. The only accurate test is a water test. Another way is to take measurements and keep track that way.
Again, don't let it get to you.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/07/21, 06:02 PM
Did you use the same method as the last time?
2009/07/21, 06:13 PM
I'll bet you're not losing muscle. Were the people who gave you the test selling something. Most of the time I've found that to be the case. If so, it's probably snake oil.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
natalie4162
natalie4162
Canada
2009/07/21, 07:27 PM
Actually I never thought of that. It wasn't the Omron device the last time it was wires attached to fingers and toes. No Charlie not selling anything. I like to get tested a few times a year. They know by now not to try selling me anything lol.

============
Quoting from TimDay:

Did you use the same method as the last time?
=============
2009/07/22, 12:03 AM
Nat, I just never heard of anyone as young as you who works out consistently, eats and rests properly losing muscle. I also don't believe there is an extremely accurate way to measure such a thing short of an autopsy. Please don't go there:)

If you truly have lost six pounds of muscle then you need to go to the doctor. But I don't believe it.:big_smile:

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/07/22, 12:03 PM
Different methods will give you different results. Try to use the same method all the time as well as the same person doing the measuring.

While there may be some inaccuracies with some methods, as long as you stay consistent with the tools and the BF% is going down, you'll be fine.

The most accurate way is as Charlie suggests, an autopsy, but it's kind of hard to workout with your chest cut open.

The gym I work at uses and electrical impedence device. We use it for various reasons, but it's the one we use consistently.

t

============
Quoting from natalie4162:

Actually I never thought of that. It wasn't the Omron device the last time it was wires attached to fingers and toes. No Charlie not selling anything. I like to get tested a few times a year. They know by now not to try selling me anything lol.

=============

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/07/22, 06:44 PM
II invested in a simple scale that measures both weight and BF%.
It is only a consistant way to keep track.
Never the less, both my GP and dietitian say it is an unimportant fact to know unless we are in professional sports.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
natalie4162
natalie4162
Canada
2009/07/22, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the comments, it was really bothering me. I was at the gym tonight taking a class ran by one of the top personal trainers there. After the class I started my circuit routine, she came up to me (i called her yesterday :big_smile:) Basically she told me it was wrong, that she sees the work i put in at the gym and there is no way i lost all that muscle, she pretty much said all the same things you all stated. So thanks for making me feel better. Getting retested in 6 weeks, I'm sure the results will be much different.
2009/07/23, 12:52 PM
I'd stop getting tested. Your pants and how you feel are the most reliable fitness tests I know.

--------------

Charlie