Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Soreness and Cardio

africanqueen
africanqueen
United States
2002/06/14, 01:41 PM
I did squats for the first time in my life and now I am so in pain that I am wondering if it is safe for me to go to the gym to do some cardio( i usually do biking, treadmill and elliptical stairmaster). Given that my main goal is to lose weight (50 lbs), I dont wan't to do a home routine that would prevent me from going to the gym. It is been too days and I don''t think I will be able to run today. What should i do??? Do some cardio while sore??
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/14, 02:50 PM
Once you warm up your leg muscles, you should be able to at least do some light cardio work. You can choose to rest your muscles altogether or active recovery through light cardio.

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/06/15, 01:50 AM
Yes, it's called active recovery and it can actually help your legs to feel less sore. But it's LIGHT cardio.

If it hurt too much then wait another day.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
prettygentle
prettygentle
United States
2002/06/15, 06:10 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about!!! My legs are just now beginning to feel better!!

What I've done is WALK. It does amazing things to make your legs feel better. They feel horrible at first, but by the time you've walked 30 or so minutes (at a moderate pace with long strides to help stretch your legs) you should notice the pain easing considerably. You can walk outside or do the treadmill.

Keep on squatting tho! The more you do it, the less it hurts on down the road.

Let us know how things go,
pg