Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Sore for how long???

prettygentle
prettygentle
United States
2002/06/14, 07:55 AM
How long should you experince the sore muscles from weight training (due to going to failure to help build muscle)?

And, should you proceed with your next scheduled workout on the same area if you are still sore? Just a little sore? Sore-no-more?

Thanks! Don't want to do more harm than good, here.
pg
mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/14, 10:18 AM
I would think if you are still very sore, that you shouldn't exercise those muscles for fear of causing injury. Your body is telling you something when it is signaling pain/soreness (that is, your muscles have been "torn" and your body needs time to rebuild and grow them back up). But then, that's what this bodybuilding thing is all about right? However, if after a full week you are still sore, that tells me your body hasn't recovered yet and you could injury yourself if you press it too hard. I got some serious soreness from some calf raises I did, and it's taken days for the soreness to go away. I was afraid it would last forever, but the week is almost over and they feel fine now - so I'm going to be able to do more calf exercises on schedule. So, it seems that 7-days is a good figure to go by (from what most people say, you should only work a muscle group once a week - presumably to allow your body to heal itself and grow the muscle during the rest period). Am I right everybody? I'm new at this myself, but based on everything I've read and the little experience (and common sense) I have, that's seems right.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/14, 10:26 AM
Most novices will experience the soreness a little longer than those a little more experienced.

To answer your question on whether or not to train sore muscles, I would say that depends. Are you training each muscle group once every 7 days or more often? If more often, you may want to avoid exercising the sore muscles.

You can also use various supplements to help your muscles recover (i.e. vitamin e, creatine, EFAs, glucosamine and chondroitin). Search some old posts on these because there have been many.

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
prettygentle
prettygentle
United States
2002/06/14, 01:28 PM
Thanks, guys. I appreciate your answers.

And to answer the questions, I only work out each part once a week. Did some serious squatting on Tuesday morning... Still sore, but as long as I don't sit still too long, it's not too bad... (like getting up in the mornings... LOL). It's going up and down stairs that are murder... and I live up stairs. How's that for torture?? LOL

pg
TiredRob
TiredRob
United Kingdom
2002/06/16, 03:10 AM
We're with PG..

There seems to be something weird about leg-training, since I find that pretty much all other muscle groups may be sore for maybe a day or two after training, but legs almost always lasts a full four days before they feel 'right' again.

Other people I talk to who train have also found similar experiences after leg days (also beginners like us), so you're not alone here.. It just means that you're working them! At least next week you'll be ready for it ;-)

Good luck,

Rob.
kitten-
kitten-
Singapore
2002/06/16, 02:50 PM
You know, I like feeling sore!! It reminds me of all that I've done and kind of motivates me.... maybe I'm weird :P
prettygentle
prettygentle
United States
2002/06/16, 09:10 PM
Nope, not a bit weird kitten :) The soreness is a great reminder of every drop of sweat you've poured into a workout!

Now, if I can just find a way to make my butt (it does get sore, but not nearly as my legs) as sore as my legs get, I'll have a gorgeous posterior in a matter of a month or so... LMAO

And, Rob, thank God I'm not alone in the "legs-are-never-gonna-feel-better" department...

pg
TiredRob
TiredRob
United Kingdom
2002/06/17, 10:55 AM
For your butt, you just gotta try lunges, they kill my ass!

Rob.
prettygentle
prettygentle
United States
2002/06/18, 03:51 PM
Rob,

I did them yesterday morning. I thought I was gonna fall flat!! LOL

My ass is sore today!! Thank goodness! I was starting to worry.... Next week I'll be looking forward to the lunges.

pg

============
Quoting from TiredRob:

For your butt, you just gotta try lunges, they kill my ass!

Rob.
=============
Ricky_V
Ricky_V
United Kingdom
2002/07/10, 02:25 PM
Probably the legs hurt for longer cause we all walk a lot?
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/07/10, 04:47 PM
My legs feel like lead most of the week, I think it has something to do with my leg day being right after my long run day and right before my next run, but then again I really don't know.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/11, 02:15 AM
If you violently shake your legs (for a longer time) right after (or even the day after) a heavy worked leg day, you are just damaging yourself more..... Tearing more fibres apart from already hurt fibres. This will cause the recuperation time to be a lot longer.
Active recovery is still a good thing thou, but avoid impacts and constant shocks to the muscle. Go for a long walk or slowly bike for 30-60 mins is a great way to help the muscle.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/07/11, 10:44 PM
Thanks Nina, that makes sense, I'll try to change things around a bit.