Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

# of exercises per muscle group

rtdrew
rtdrew
United States
2002/06/09, 04:38 PM
i do one muscle group per day with about 5 different exercises with 3 sets each. for example, for chest i do incline bench press, flat bench press, incline flyes, weighted dips, and then finish with cable crossovers. i noticed that on freetrainers.com 8 week exercise program, there are only like 2-3 exercises for each muscle group. am i doing too much? or would say a chest/tris and back/bis type of workout be better?
- tom
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/06/09, 06:26 PM
The mass program here uses compund movements to build you your mass. If you perform the exercises properly thats all you need, but feel free to add more exercises into your workout. I am on the 12 week mass program at it kicks ass. I would suggest yousign up for it if you want to pack on some pounds
good luck

--------------
BQ
AMERICAN MADE
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/10, 10:56 AM
Welcome to ft, rtdrew! It's really not a matter of quantity but rather quality. When you do 5 exercises at 3 sets apiece, do you do them with proper form? If so, why can't you get the same results with 2-3 exercises at 4-5 sets apiece?

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/10, 02:33 PM
You know, forgive me for speaking (typing) my mind but this always seems to be a question raised by neophyte weightlifters. I mean NO offense by that statement, I am simply saying that it seems few people can GRASP the 'less is more' philosophy until they have worked out with weights for some time. I was this way, big time. 2 hour workouts, 5 days a week for several years. I remember being stuck for a long, long time.
You simply don't need to kill your body by doing tons of sets and exercises per body part, everytime you enter the gym. Hit it hard, hit it fast, and use good form. The faster you finish lifting (practicing good form), the faster you are on the sofa, poolside or lazy boy chair, GROWING, and the less of your recuperative ability you are tapping into.

--------------
Ischjli
"Seven days without exercise makes one weak."
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/10, 02:52 PM
You should check out Mikementzer.com Ischjli.

--------------
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice does.
rtdrew
rtdrew
United States
2002/06/10, 03:31 PM
i dont spend 2 hours in the weight room. i go from one exercise to other with about 30 second in between each set and about 45 seconds between each different exercise. i dont try to kill my body with a million different exercise. i do try to do a weight high enough that maybe i cant finish the last set. i do exercises that each different area (as specified in the muscle targeting pages). seems logical to me. im in the weight room for about 45 minutes at the most. i have recently started doing 10-8-6 with progressively higher weights to see how that works out. if anybody sees somethin wrong with this, let me know.

and i do have proper form. well im pretty sure i do. i go down slow on the negative part (forgot exactly what its called). i dont do cheat. for example, i dont use my back when doing biceps. if i cant lift it with my biceps, i dont swing the weight up. im not that new. i may not post, i just read a lot. and i get a lot of different opinions and i thought it might be good to post a question to see the multiple types of opinions this might produce.
-tom
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/10, 03:41 PM
AMEN brother. I went to Tips, along the side. Here is just a snippet from the sight in case anyone else is interested. VERy good info.

Many bodybuilders apparently don't understand that the big picture in bodybuilding involves two elements of equal value, literally 50-50, not 60-40 or 70-30 - but 50-50.

There's no gain saying that the workout itself is important, it's only 50 percent of the big picture. The second element, not one scintilla less important than the workout, is the rest period between workouts. And here's why. The workout understand doesn't actually "produce" muscular growth; it serves merely to "stimulate" the body's growth mechanism into motion. It is the body itself - of course - that produces the growth, but ONLY if left undisturbed during a sufficient rest period. If you don't rest enough, you don't grow enough - if at all!

Mike Mentzer

--------------
Ischjli
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/10, 03:42 PM
Sounds okay. What you described with the 10-8-6 is a pyramid system similar to what ft offers. Shouldn't be a problem with it.

--------------
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/10, 03:43 PM
Oh, and I workout 4 days a week, and each workout takes about 45 minutes. Usually it's 6-7 exercises per day, so you must only be doing one muscle group a day to be going through them that fast.

--------------
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/10, 03:56 PM
Sounds good Tom, like you have a handle on things. I too think ft's program will work well for you. My comment wasn't intended to single you out specifically. It is something, IMO, that I read into often in many posts here. The, 'I need to hit it harder-longer' vibe.

So you do 5 different exercises, 3 sets each, in 45 minutes? Wow, that is something. I can hardly get through an ft program on my lunch hour and never take more than 2 minutes between sets.

--------------
Ischjli
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/10, 04:03 PM
In any event, just keep your total number of sets to less than 20. Anything beyond that and you could risk overtraining.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/06/10, 04:47 PM
Anytyhing to high can also cause you to possibly get injured.

--------------
BQ
AMERICAN MADE
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/10, 08:57 PM
Ischjli,
I missed your post earlier quoting mentzer. I strongly recommend to everyone reading his articles on bodybuilding. Mike and Ray were both awesome.

--------------