Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

I need to get started on realistic plan

fitgirl7407
fitgirl7407
United States
2009/05/28, 09:58 PM
I need to get started on a realistic plan for diet and exercise. I don't know what is realistic for me. I have never been in shape. Please look at my profile.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/05/29, 10:55 AM
Well, I looked at your profile and one phrase stood out to me:
"I want to eat as nutritiously as my taste buds allow."
Your long term success hinges on your diet. I'm not saying to give up all of those things you love, but you will have to seriously moderate them.
I can only speak for myself, but when I made the decision to get in shape, I literally had to go to war against my diet. And even though it sucks for the first several week I grew to really enjoy the cleaner and healthier foods.
So here's my suggestion to you:
First, get your diet under control. You'll have to count calories. I'd say start at 1700-1800 a day for you,depending on how active you are.
Second is to find any way to get active. There are free beginner programs available on this site that have proven themselves time and again. I'd suggest a whole body strength training routine done a couple times a week, and cardio done on the days in between. Try for 3-4 days of some kind of activity per week and work up from there.
Make sure to check out the diet an nutrition forums for more specific advice on what to eat.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/05/29, 04:47 PM
I read your post this am but had to run off to work. Returnofplex gave you bang on info. The only thing I would not worry about so much is the calories. Although important, if you add more soluble fiber and cut back to foods with less fat IE: whole grains for breads and cereals, for breakfasts
No butter or margarine, use light cream cheese or jam, Stay away from hi fat dairy altogether eat fish- chicken and fruits mainly citrus, lots of fiber will keep you full and you will eventually like it. Oh and for some snacks, instead of Ice cream and cookies, go with frozen yogurt,biscottis. If you like pasta go with the whole wheat.
This will guarantee results, keep high cholesterol lower, and your sugar levels stable. Don't be afraid to indulge with healthier foods.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)