Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

opinions on crossfit

Devinm
Devinm
United States
2009/05/22, 09:36 PM
for some reason i thought this site was a joke. i guess because the weights are light (most of the time) with a lot of reps. after trying the 300 workout i was pouring sweat and my heart was beating a million beats per minute. would these kinds of workouts be beneficial towards strength or just for endurance? how do you feel about crossfit?

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/05/26, 01:05 PM
I dont know much about it, other than it has gotten a bad rap in the "strength community." The whole naming convention is skewed, and you never really use maximal weights. Other than that, I find no issue with a program that people want to do that gets them off their ass.

I know some people are using a modified crossfit approach as their cardio after their main work. For this I think it would be great...

The way I figure it, we bitch about all these "shitty" programs, but we are finally seeing a desire for people in this country to get in shape- so then who cares?
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2009/05/27, 03:57 PM
k i see what your saying thankyou.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2009/05/29, 01:01 PM
I train at a crossfit gym. First off, it's the best facility I've ever trained in. Bumper plates, racks, platforms, jerk boxes, safety bars, cambered bars, buffalo bars, texas bars, oly bars, dumbbells, kettlebells, bands, chains, sleds and prowlers, reverse hyper, you name it. Loud music, great training environment, smart people.

Second off, the workouts are damned hard. It's the only gym you'll see where people are regularly throwing up, and no one leaves without really training.

That said, I don't actually do the crossfit workouts, because they do not suit MY needs. I do the occasional WOD for conditioning depending on what kind of contest I have coming up.

They will be best for metabolic conditioning. Think of this as the endurance required to move heavy weights, etc. It's got a lot more application to real life and many sports than just running for cardio, etc.

The major issue I have with it is that the strongest athletes are the best crossfitters, but the regular WODs posted on the website don't contain a lot of strength work. Our Crossfit is currently working with Jim Wendler on a program incorporating a low volume strength program (5-3-1 program) with metabolic conditioning. When in Columbus we met with Louie Simmons of Westside for some more training ideas (the man is a freaking genius that will talk your ear off with amazing advice). Currently it is working out really well. Look for an article to be posted on elitefts.com in a few months, after the experiment is over.
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2009/05/31, 02:06 AM
thanks wrestler. always good to hear from you. hey wat do u think about Defranco's Strongman Training? They workout at a gym not to far from me and i heard they're pretty hardcore.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2009/06/02, 12:22 PM
As an athletic trainer, its tough to beat Joe DeFranco as a trainer. He's also managed to implement event training very successfully with athletes of different sports. However, if you want to compete in strongman, you'd be better off finding a group that trains events in your area.

The implement weights his athletes use are like warm ups to a competitor, and since he probably isn't focusing on strongman for the sake of strongman, he doesn't know the techniques, etc.
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2009/06/02, 04:55 PM
i see. i tried to contact that guy Ben you had told me about and i got some other person but then they fowarded my mail to him but i never heard back so i still have no idea of any training groups

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2009/06/02, 06:48 PM
Drop me an email with your location or check the marunde-muscle boards for training groups.