Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Strongman Competitions

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2009/05/15, 11:53 AM
I don't train at Brute anymore since I'm not in the area, but the head manager used to be one of my training partners. If you go there, ask to talk to Mark Kimenar and tell him Steve Trippe sent you. He's a really good amateur and a great stone lifter, and he'd definitely help you out with any techniques you need to learn. If you want I can tell him you're coming.

Currently I'm in Memphis training with the M-Unit. Thats a bit far out of your way but there are training groups in NOVA, not sure about the rest of the state though.

As for competitions, check nastrongmaninc.com. Pick a contest, train for it, compete. It's that simple.

As for tendonosis, the therapeutic solution is high load eccentric based movements. I've recommended this to many of our lifters and they have all had great success.

If you need any more info, check out marunde-muscle.com for guys that actually compete (as opposed to the keyboard warriors you'll find on t-nation) or drop me an email at steve.trippe@gmail.com since it's only by chance that I check this website anymore.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2009/05/15, 08:55 AM
marunde-muscle.com has the best strongman forum I believe.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/05/14, 07:29 PM
Yea, i grip max legal, sometimes even wider. I will try out the thick bar soon to see.

Whats a good place to get extensor finger bands? I could probably use them anyway...

And i live in virginia
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2009/05/14, 10:28 PM
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1376

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2009/05/14, 06:23 PM
Well thick bar might help with setting it in your hands in the right spot. And might be easier to do thumb less with. If not, it'll make thumb less with a regular bar SUPER easy.

You grip really wide..I had to move my grip in to in between ring and middle on ring...instead of 1st finger on ring.

IF you can get some extensor finger bands that may help too..helped with my elbow issue as well.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2009/05/14, 06:26 PM
Not sure where you live... forgot...but KY seems to have a lot of strong man stuff going on. Couple my training partners are doing one this month sometime.

--------------

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2009/05/14, 04:20 PM
What you do to wrist?

How you set it in your hands?

Have you tried benching with a thick bar?

ever try thumbless?(gasp)

--------------

coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/05/14, 04:41 PM
I did not do any traumatic thing to it, so I can only assume it is from the added weight in my hands. I set the bar low in my hand, grip the hell out of it, and try to keep my wrist straight.

I have not tried thumbless, but I have been contemplating the thick bar. I would like to fix the problem, not work around it... unless, of course, I can do both at the same time...
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/05/14, 12:04 PM
This is the best place to put this because I know certain people will reply.

I am planning on doing a strongman competition in about a years time (I plan on 2 more PL comps before this). I am curious about the best way to find local (~2hr) competitions.

I went to EastCoaststrongman or whatever that is, and it seems very outdated.
I also checked out North American Strongman's website. I saw a competition in June in my area for this year, so I will look to do that next year i guess(?)

Any other advice? Any well populated forums? I only use T-Nation and they dont have too much strongman stuff...

Steve, you still visit BruteStrength on Saturdays. My next planned comp is in December so after that I will be looking for somewhere to get access to some equipment.

Also, completely unrelated, I saw you have some knowledge on tendonitis but I could not find exactly what I was looking for. I am experiencing what feels like shin-splints in my forearm.

It all started when I finally figured out how to set my shirt and my weights went up. Now its almost like a crushing feeling. I have not used anything over 240 since my competition, but pretty much ANY pressing requires me to cast my forearm/wrist with my wraps, even prowling... pulling does not bother it tho. Ideas for healing? R.I.C.E.?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2009/05/15, 12:03 PM
Also Matt's board will have some good advice and a bunch of training logs to pull ideas from.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/05/15, 12:20 PM
Like I said, I am not making the transition till around the end of the year. But I am sort of getting an appeal to switch to strongman stuff.

in knew heavy eccentric stuff was the key, but, um... how do I apply that to my forearm/wrist? I am going to get some stuff to do some leveraging...

(posted this now because I saw you were still on)
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2009/05/15, 03:21 PM
That website I sent you has alot of forearm and wirst things...bands really helped my hands especially if you do alot of grip work.

Usualy what my group does is mon -fri is powerlifting orriented type stuff...with oly movments on wed( somtimes)

Saturdays we play with strong man stuff sualy we pick 2-3 things and do those. Not going for max weight but getting used to thick bar cleans, log pressing carrying and picking up stuff etc.

--------------

coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/05/15, 04:05 PM
Honestly, I cant tell the difference between those finger extensor things and a rubber band. Rubber bands will be cheaper too. I need to work on it because I have one finger that wont straighten-conveniently on my "injured" arm.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/05/15, 05:47 PM
For the record, I will check out that website. Thanks guys...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2009/05/16, 03:37 PM
They are very very strong rubber bands....guess you could use rubber bands. I still can only completly open the 1st strength. You get 2 of each strength....but whatever

--------------