Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

alternate exercises?

mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/05, 10:37 AM
I have access to a home gym, but I do not belong to a commercial gym. Some exercises that my program calls for are ones that I don't have the machines for. How can I find out what alternative exercises exist? For example, calf raises. I don't have a calf raise machine. How can I work out my calves in a way that mimics (or gets as close to it) that exercise? Thanks -- John
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/05, 12:12 PM
You can do standard calf raises. I am trying to figure out a safe way to create a substitue for machine calf raises with dumbells. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
glynnz
glynnz
United Kingdom
2002/06/06, 04:57 AM
For calf raises with dumbells, grab a dumbell in one arm say your right arm, this exercise needs just a normal step, if you have an exercising step then great...stand with your right foot on the edge of the step, raising your foot all the way up and controlling all the way down, if you are using a door step you can use your left arm to support your balance. then change to the left leg and hold the weight in your left arm...if you find that you need a much heavier weight than one arm can hold, you can use grip supports to help keep the weight in your hand. I hope this will help you.