Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Motivation

glynnz
glynnz
United Kingdom
2002/05/24, 07:26 AM
I currently work in a college, training and suppoting staff and students in IT...sometimes after a very long day I'm not only physically drained but mentally. I was just wondering what some of you guys do to keep the motivation to get through that all important training session. I'm sure we all have days like this..and the worst thing is when I miss a workout, I feel really guilty!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/24, 10:13 AM
I think most importantly, you've gotta love lifting! If you don't, then it's definitely going to be harder to get yourself motivated. For me, it's the only thing I look forward to during the day...it's the only time I get to myself.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
glynnz
glynnz
United Kingdom
2002/05/24, 10:24 AM
I don't think I lack interest and dedication for my training, I've trained on Christmas day before and that can be deadly with a family like mine, they really love Christmas!....I've trained since the age of 16 and as I said, if I ever miss a workout due to illness or likewise I feel really bad for missing my workout. Just looking for advice, rpacheco, have you never missed a workout due too a really hard day at work and you are really nackered?
Missa
Missa
United States
2002/05/24, 10:28 AM
My motivation is a balance of mental and physical energy. My work requires me to read, analyze and write memos. After "thinking" all day, it is helpful to use as much physical energy as mental. If not, I'll just lie in bed at night with my mind blank and my body restless! So--achieving balance motivates me!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/24, 10:28 AM
I have missed a few days...those things happen. When I do miss a day, I usually make up for it by working out that bodypart the next time I hit the weights, on top of that day's scheduled bodypart.

But your question was how you keep yourself motivated when you've had a long day...right?

--------------
**_Robert_**
glynnz
glynnz
United Kingdom
2002/05/24, 11:02 AM
what I meant to ask is how to keep the motivation up in a situation like that, to try and avoid missing workouts..So the next time I feel really tired and warn out I still find the motivation to get me down to the gym.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/24, 11:36 AM
Like I've been trying to tell you, motivation in cases like that comes from within. We all have that extra something within us that forces us to go work out, even under stressful or adverse situations.

--------------
**_Robert_**
glynnz
glynnz
United Kingdom
2002/05/24, 01:17 PM
Thanks rpacheco, it seems you like to give advice to others based on your experience only, trouble is, not everybody is like you.

"When I do miss a day, I usually make up for it by working out that bodypart the next time I hit the weights, on top of that day's scheduled bodypart."

I'll take this part of your advice and leave out the rest..and if memory serves me correctly from reading your profile, you your self admit to incorrect training methods in the past...think of that the next time you give advice!

Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/24, 01:40 PM
Eesh. The only thing I can say is that I have noticed alot of people say things like "Ug, and I still have to workout when I get home", or things of that nature. You don't HAVE to, you WANT to, worse than anything else. If you don't feel that way, then that's a problem. If you adapt the attitude and watch how you convey to yourself your workouts, you'll find that you spend most days counting the time until you get to hit the weights again.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/24, 01:47 PM
No offense intended glynnz. You're welcome. Oh, and by the way, would you have me (or anyone else for that matter) give advice other than from personal experience or knowledge? Frankly, I don't give advice on just something I may have read elsewhere or from a "friend's" experience, unless absolutely warranted.

Again, no offense intended...

--------------
**_Robert_**
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/24, 01:58 PM
I think we should take some of this stored anger and really hit the gym. Look at the weights as a Channel for your anger.
Glynnz its Ok to miss a work ou,t it happens, the problem is when you miss many. I have felt this way as you, guilt, but you have to push past that stage. Some days I sit back and think, should i go? or should i not, i am tired, i had a long day......CANT think about it...DO IT! you will feel better after you finish, remember the 1st step is the hardest step! and use that anger as a guide to kickin some BUTT in the gym!
BQ
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/05/24, 04:18 PM
Glynnz,
I am in the IT support business as well. I know what a friggin' pain in the a** some clients can be and how they can wear you down. I agree with most of the above, about it coming from within, and digging deep and all that, however I too miss workouts- routinely (but not back to back). I am not proud of it, nor do I beat myself up. I think I represent the minority, but at times I am too sore or too tired, or just not feeling ALL there. At these times, I just skip that exercise/day and focus on tomorrow (this doesn't happen too often though). It works for me, and do you know what I have noticed? Those parts I have missed, seem to respond WAY better after the layoff. Don't sweat it. Hit it hard the next time. The only time I would worry is if as mentioned above, you miss consecutive days - routinely. Then it may be time to step back and re-prioritize.

Good luck.

ischjli
glynnz
glynnz
United Kingdom
2002/05/25, 06:15 AM
Once again thanks for the advice guys, rpacheco you'll alright..Cheers..